Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Ghosts of TDIET past

You have got to be kidding me. Today's strip is just a minor variation on a strip from last Tuesday! He has to have more than eight ideas, right? At least Ragweed's request today is a lot more appetizing than anything we've been treated to before.

Lulula, whom we saw a mere five days ago, sure has changed. I guess Scaduto has a list of names that he uses over and over, because he figures that nobody in the country could possibly have those names. I can kind of understand his thought process, but seriously, get over it. Just because I read a book or comic or whatever and someone in it named "Barb" acts idiotically doesn't mean I take it as a personal offense.

Once again, we have Scaduto referring to a husband as a "friend." Interesting. I had thought, as an anonymous poster suggested, that yesterday's "friend" was referring to the reader; it was just messed up by a grammatical error. But nope. Again, I'm not saying that it's bad to refer to a spouse as a friend; I just find it kind of odd. Maybe because getting somthing from the kitchen is a friendly thing to do?

I particularly like how they both look upset in the top panel. Like, totally put-out by the situation. Bewildering. And their chairs are, I assume, supposed to be next to each other's, but Scaduto (as we learned in last Thursday's strip) has problems drawing anything with depth.(Heh heh. Take that as you will.)

Taking a step back...nothing about this seems unreasonable. It seems that normally, she'll say she's going to get food, and he insists on getting it for her--so now, she probably just expects him to get it for her every time. That seems a bit unfair. Him asking for a snack; no, not great, but he seems to treat her fine otherwise. Get over it, Lulula.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger DaveyK said...

Scaduto is witholding citical info that helps make sense of it all.

In the top panel, notice how Ragweed is leaping up from the chair, tossing aside his paper, and rushing to beat Lulula into the kitchen?

The only possible explanation is that he killed a hobo and has hidden at least some of the body parts in the chip cupboard. He *has* to get to the kitchen before Lulula discovers his secret.

By the time we get to the second panel, the huge vat of acid in the basement has solved the problem for Ragweed, so it's safe to let Lulula into the cupboard again.

They'll do it every time...oh yeah!

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Swimmy Lionni said...

I think he's using "friend" in relation to the reader rather than his wife, as in, "Let's listen in on our little friend here." But also ironically, as in, "This guys is actually a really big jerk and not your friend so don't listen to a word I say."

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can you have a situation that crops up "every one in a while" in a strip called They'll do it every time?

Thinking on the limited number of gags in this strip, and then about the diversity of cultures, religions, socio-economic strata and other things that make each of us who we are, is it really surprising that there are only about 8 things that "They" will do every time?

I think God is speaking to me through my word verification choices... I need to figure out what He means by dzmwunt

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gah... both my comments posted on josh's before I posted them here.

Hmm... god says igbbq ... looks like ribs for dinner.

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sightline Payments Kirk Sanford

 

Post a Comment

<< Home