Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Heavy things are bad, yo

Sorry about the delayed entry today...Blogger was having problems when I tried to post earlier.

Anyway, on to today's strip. Poor Hekkie. He, like every other young person in the TDIET universe, looks like he's 75 when he's still in school. And then Scaduto had to age him!

There's yet more proof to be found that TDIET strips are actually relics from some other time. Another time, when teenagers used words like "Knapsack" (and is that even how you'd spell it?) and "bushed" and would say "Carryin' this thing is murder."

I barely have the energy to discuss the topic. Carrying backpack = pain, because there's no joy in having to bring home homework. Carrying golf bag = fun because golfing is fun. (Apparently.) It's really not that hard a concept. It's like how in gym in middle school, we had to run laps. And I had some friends that I'd run with and we'd whine the entire time. Then, in high school, they joined the track team. Being forced to do something makes it less fun. That's really all there is to it. (Though recreational running still sounds like torture to me.)

My big question is about the guy Hekkie is playing golf with. That's probably how I'd be, if I were out on the course. But I really don't think you'd see anyone behaving like that. I could be wrong. I avoid non-miniature golf.

4 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, Blogger DaveyK said...

The passage of time isn't even important to the joke, such as it is, and just serves to confuse things. If the young Hekkie had complained about carrying his backpack but not about carrying golf clubs, it would have amounted to the same thing...which is absolutely nothing.

 
At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I don't think kids wore backpacks so much in days of yore. Scadootie more likely scavenged from those newspaper articles some years back fretting about how heavy backpacks have become.

 
At 2:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What makes this strip completely pointless is that a bag of golf clubs weighs far less than the average high-schooler's backpack these days.

Also, golfers have golf carts, or they have wheels on their bag. I've yet to see someone out there (granted, I've only been on a golf course maybe 3 times in my life) who didn't at least have a rolling bag.

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's even worse than that, the passage of time totally destroys the joke !

Because TEENAGERS ARE STRONGER THAN CHILDREN, and can therefore CARRY BAGS WITH LESS EFFORT. Oh my god, who knew ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home