Wednesday, July 12, 2006

So should Mazdas actually say "Phoom, phoom, phoom"?

I can't let it go anymore. The caption in today's strip is just too much. "High-schooler Hekkie's grades are not so hot...In fact, they are, like, we mean awful..."

First off, there should, at least, be a comma between "mean" and "awful." Second, I'm assuming that this is supposed to mimic how teenagers talk. Only, why? We know that the strip isn't written by a teenager. Seriously, Scaduto, you don't need to fill up all that captioning area. White space isn't necessarily wasted space!

As for the second panel..."out-I.Q.s Einstein"? Really? Because I'm pretty sure that you don't need to be a genius to pass the driver's license exam, even if it is, as you claim, "very tough." (Which...not so much, in my experience.) And really? 82 questions? Dang. Of course, I got my license in Montana, so who knows.

I'm kind of disturbed by the fact that Hekkie and his dad are wearing matching outfits. Maybe it was twins day?

Also amusing is that the "speeding" car in Hekkie's daydream is making a "Phooom" noise. Not "Zoom." "Phooom."

To finally direct my attention to the actual point of the strip, I'm not sure why the dad is surprised that his kid does well on a test on something that interests him and directly affects his life. There are lots of kids out there like that. If I were the kid's parents, he possibly wouldn't be allowed to get his license (or drive much, or something) until he pulled his grades up. But that's not the point here.

8 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who the heck would name their kid "Hekkie"?

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the same thing, I took my last license test in Florida, and it was multiple choice with pictures so that even illiterates could pass.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger DaveyK said...

The amazing, ustated, implication here is that every person in America with a driver's license has "out-I.Q.d Einstein".

Placing Einstein roughly in the 5% percentile for intelligence and making the feat mundane.

Einstein's estate should sue Mr. Scaduto for slander.

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to applaud TDIET for actually making a kid that looks like a kid, not a 50 year old midget.

That said, this particular strip sucks, as usual. I actually don't know that the idiotic "in fact, they are" babbling IS supposed to sound like a teenager talking--I WOULD, except that TDIET employs that sort of crap fairly regularly.

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to know where this kid took an 82 question driver's test. Mine capped at around 20! Phoom phoom indeed.

 
At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I failed twice :( I'm such an Einstein!

 
At 3:15 AM, Blogger Swimmy Lionni said...

In TN, my license test was around 20 questions, I believe.

 
At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is the father surprised that his son is an idiot? "You just can't get nothin'"?! The apple doesn't like I mean, fall far from the tree. yeah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home