Thursday, July 06, 2006

Kitty cans for America!

When I first glanced at today's strip, the words "Feed the kitty can" jumped out at me. Something to do with cats? I wondered. No such luck. I have heard of things like, "Put money in the kitty," but I never thought of it in terms of charity. (Usually in terms of gambling, right? Just me?) And certainly have never seen a can actually labeled "kitty," but then, I've never lived in Maine. Perhaps it's common there?

And second of all, shut up, TDIET. Clearly if someone doesn't put money in a can next to a sign saying "For the boys" (because, obviously, there are no women in the armed services), that person is a Bad Person who doesn't Love America. Because why donate money to a known entity through a verified source when you can stick a buck in a can and assume it'll make it to the right place? For all we know, this guy is on his way to help put together care packages with the USO. (Oh, except men don't do that. The USO is for us wimmin-folk.)

I'm certainly not going to get on a guy's case for wanting a job done right. He's probably a bit of a stickler and certainly could've been more polite about it, but when I shell out good money to have my car washed, I like it done right. Of course, I also hate confrontation and so would never do anything like that. But still. I can get behind the principle of the matter.

8 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pretty sure that's a tip jar, and the boys it references are the guys in the beanies that are cleaning the car. I feal cheated by this strip whenever we don't get an extraneous "Oh Yeah!" or the like in the day's offering.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Huh. I never thought of that interpretation. Would you normally tip in a place like that? (If I get my car washed, it's usually automated.) Is a kitty can a tip jar? This strip makes no sense.

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I figured it was a tip jar, too. It seems that at least once a week this strip is about people who don't tip and still want good service. I imagine Al Scaduto is flooded with letters from these service-industry workers and has been for decades. Maybe he's afraid of what will happen if he stops drawing them? Still, the punchline is always so predictable as to not be a surprise at all--hey, what do you know, people are dicks.

I think this is a great idea for a blog, by the way. I hate this strip so much and it's nice to find other people online who love to hate it too!

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep, the one I go to has a little model car container for tips... my friend waits with bill in hand hovering over the jar until one of the guys looks over, then she nonchalantly drops it in so they know she tipped them. She denies it of course when we mock her for it.

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard of a tip jar called a "feed the kitty can," but this is just one more example of the special TDIET argot. In today's strip we are also treated to a TDIET standard: the antagonist finishing his tirade with "Y'Hear?" Has anybody reading this blog ever heard a person ending a sentence with "Y'Hear?"?

 
At 6:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only when said sentence started with 'Y'all come back now...'

And, yes, I'm pretty sure that was a tip jar. That's how I read it anyway. Still didn't make the strip funny though. :o)

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like how he's wearing a rain hat, which hasn't been seen on any man's head since The Rockford Files.

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The car wash I go to is automated, but at the end they have actual people drying the car off like in the strip. The tip jar isn't called the kitty, though, it's flat out called a tip jar. No dressing up what it really is ;0)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home