Thursday, June 29, 2006

Set it and forget it!

I'm not sure why the couple in today's strip are so upset about receiving a well-packaged item. Sure, the manufacturers may have gone a little overboard with the "Fragile" markings, but hey, if I pay decent money for something, I'd prefer it to be in one piece. And obviously the precautions taken (apparently to the extent that there's no address on the box--how did the mailman know where to take it???) meant that the customer received the box, and item, in decent shape.

And I don't know about all of you, but when I get a package in the mail, I get excited. Inevitably, even if I know that I'm merely getting the boxes of checks I ordered, it makes me happy. If someone actually hand delivers it to me, I say, "Ooh, presents!" That joy seems to have gone out of poor ol' Lugley's life. And that makes me sad.

Fun to note: Lug's wife in the top panel. She doesn't seem too pleased with her husband ordering something (that, from the picture, I can think of no real uses for) from an infomercial. Seriously, people, if you're going to order something off tv, make sure it has at least a cool name (e.g., the Magic Bullet).

On a side note, big thanks to Josh for the link--I'm flattered!

4 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Blogger Brucker said...

Every time I see Josh point out a new blog like this, I find myself wanting to start one of my own, but since Josh has covered the "general skewering of the comics" audience well, I'd need a good speciality like this. I think you've made a good choice. They certainly will do it everytime, won't they? (Leave you going "WTF?", that is.)

Actually, in particular what I find odd about this comic is not the wife's facial expression in the first panel, but the fact that it essentially changes in no way to the second. Slight alterations in drawing style aside, it appears that "Lugley" may in fact be single, and has quickly thrown an apron on his blow-up doll at the arrival of a delivery man to make her appear more wifely should he happen to spy her standing in the next room. That package may be delivered quickly, but what are the chances that his "wife" in the interim 4-6 weeks for shipping and handling has kept the exact same facial expression, pose, earrings and outfit?

Aw crap, I just got the joke, actually. It does make sense, but you have to think about it.

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bookmarked the RSS feed of this site. Thankfully, my local newspaper doesn't show this garbage, but every time I see it on Josh's blog my trembles turn to rages.

You keep on bashin this crap, and I'll be right there with you, jeering and booing to beat the band.

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You use checks? I didn't know people still used those things.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I don't use checks a lot, but every now and then. They're useful to have around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home