Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Mix or no, cake rules

Today's strip involves a topic near and dear to my heart: cake. I'm wondering our heroine's name, Catastra, is a play on "catastrophe." I want to say yes--perhaps this woman assuming the cake is from a mix caused Cat's dinner party to become a catastrophe?

To which I say, "Pshaw." This guest just gave Cat the perfect opening to point out that the cake is home-made. If this other woman hadn't spoken up, Cat couldn't have boasted without being rude. Now she can! Instead of "package mix[ing the guest] to the moon" (whatever that means), Cat can demurely say, "Oh, I actually made that from scratch this afternoon. A bit of a pain, but I just love the recipe!"

It's sure to impress.

4 Comments:

At 12:19 AM, Blogger Jean-Michel said...

I find "THE URGE TO PACKAGE MIX HER TO THE MOON" quite hilarious.

Oh, is that what that stuff around her head is?

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't around when Jackie Gleason used "to the moon, Alice!" as a regular punch line on prime time, I only got the reruns 50 years later. However, the TDIET use of "to the moon" sends the signal to me that this, too is an ancient rerun. However, TDIET, unlike the Hornymooners has no nostalgia factor. Additionally, it does not bill itself as such, and is thus only viewed as out of date crapola.

 
At 4:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say that I love the background coloring on this. The white circle in the center with the yellow background combined with the fact that only the two main characters are in full color seem to suggest that Cat has become so enraged by her friend's comment that time has in fact stopped. It's the short moment of absolute clarity before Catastra shoves the cake in her friend's face, smothering her to death, screaming 'It's homemade! It's homemade!' while their husband's look on in shock.

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

Wait a minute, how would the woman know if the cake was homemade or 'package mix' made?

They haven't had any of it yet!

You can tell by looks now?

Er, back then?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home