Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Deja vu

The saddest thing about today's strip is that it's essentially the same joke from a strip just a bit over a month ago. I kind of wish Scaduto had just gone ahead and had it be the same hypocritical couple (or "nerds" as the June panel called them), but no such luck.

Also, "frowzier"? I actually would probably spell it "frowsier," but would still pretty much never use that word. And they're trying to act "nifty"? What? They're trying to act "snobby" or "hoity-toity," even. But not "nifty."

And really, they don't appear too "frowsy" (with an "s," Scaduto!), which means "unkempty; slovenly." The husband hasn't shaved, and it looks like their car is having some problems (mechanically; it's also packed pretty tightly), but the couple themselves seem fine.

Not that this makes criticizing dust on a doorhandle OK. (And the door is open, so how is there dust on there? Wouldn't the opening of the door knock the dust off?) I will say that I like the name of the hotel, and appreciate that it has a dining room.

4 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger Monster said...

frow·zy also frow·sy Pronunciation (frouz)
adj. frow·zi·er also frow·si·er, frow·zi·est also frow·si·est
1. Unkempt; slovenly: frowzy clothes; a frowzy professor.
2. Having an unpleasant smell; musty: a frowzy pantry.

Either way is correct, though I don't think I'd seen the word at all before today.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Screwtape said...

"... I don't think I'd seen the word at all before today."

My theory is that Scaduto is about two hundred years old; that would explain why he uses a lot of obsolete slang. Geewhillikers, Al, you're showing your age! By jingo!

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that the broken down car also seems to function as a bidet.

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dictionary has entries for frousy, frouzy, frowsy and frowzy.

It defines frousy as "frowsy," frouzy as "frowzy," and frowzy as "frowsy."

I'm not kidding even in the slightest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home