Thursday, July 20, 2006

I don't, Scaduto

I think the more realistic version of today's strip would be the mother pestering the daughter about getting married, as in the top panel. The bottom panel, however, should be the married daughter getting pestered about popping out grandkids. That's insanely common. I mean, it still wouldn't be funny, but at least it'd be true.

I love how the bride is completely serene; her mother's cries don't make it to her, even though others' reactions show that her mother is audible from that far away.

The positioning of the people confuses me. At first I thought the bride was walking down the aisle; but no, that's not her dad with her. So I guess it's her husband standing next to her. Next to the pews. With a couple standing next to them (and the woman in the couple seems to be going for a "Jackie Kennedgy on the day Jack was killed" outfit for some reason, though her hat is a bit off). Oh! I think they're supposed to be the groom's parents, hence, the woman's corsage. And who's the woman in front of all of them?

I guess it's a timely topic; it's summer, and I believe July or August is actually the most common month to get married in (not June). I actually just attended one this past weekend, which was lovely. And for the record, my mom doesn't pester me about getting married; my grandmother does that.

This strip sure does have a lot of drama queens, doesn't it?

6 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger DaveyK said...

What the hell kind of name is "Lulula"?

In the top panel, the wonder is that, despite Mom's aggressive staccato inquiries, *really* angry face, and threatening posture, Lulula still visits the old biddy at all.

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the mother wanted her daughter to marry off quickly, she shouldn't have given her such an unappealing name. "Lulula" sounds like the kind of name you'd come up with after watching some Hawaiian-themed Elvis movie from the 60s.

 
At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks to me like the bride and groom have just been married, and are walking back down the aisle - the mass of people are the guests wishing the couple their best, perhaps? From the drawing of the pews, it's difficult to tell which way they would have been sitting.

 
At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so wanted the punchline to be something like, "So when Massachusetts finally legalized gay marriage and daughter found a nice woman to marry, who wouldn't come to the wedding?" Oh yeah!

 
At 2:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe mom's just ticked off that her 40 year old daughter won't just move out and get a job and stop mooching off her folks. Or the art could just be crappy as usual...

 
At 2:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I guess it's a timely topic; it's summer, and I believe July or August is actually the most common month to get married in (not June)."

Haven't seen the strip, but is it possible the writer was actually confusing the fact that June is traditionally good luck to marry in? (It's named after Juno, aka Hera, a Greco-Roman goddess who among other things was supposed to take care of, IIRC, childbirth and new mothers and newlywed women, too, I think. June's supposed to be her month - simularly to how March is Mars' month - hence why it's lucky to marry in that month) Not excusing the mistake if that's so, just wondering if that's what happened maybe?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home