Friday, July 21, 2006

More appealing recipes

Anyone else interested in going over to Scaduto's house for dinner? In today's strip, we have yet another culinary delight: squid, prepared with oregano, balsamic vinegar, and red wine. Served with salad (prepared with "etc."). I realize that the men in these situations are the foils in the strip, and we're not supposed to like them; I guess that's the explanation for the dreadful food. But is Arflo's wife really going to prepare it like that? I admit I'm not much of a seafood fan (other than sushi, strangely enough, New England clam chowder, and fish & chips), but that just seems wrong.

The name Arflo threw me off; isn't it generally Arfo? I'd look through the archives, but then I'd have to shoot myself.

And again we have more helpful exposition--"The urge to overcook his hide." Oh, I see! The wife is annoyed with her husband! I couldn't tell from her expression, so thanks! Seriously, Scaduto underestimates his artistic ability. Or his audience's powers of perception. On the positive side, it looks like she's about to smack him with the spatula.

I will give high marks for the amount of writing in today's strip, and he didn't even have to resort to an "Oh, yeah!"

The moral of today's strip? Men should work until they die, thus leaving their wives to cook in peace.

(Note: Another suggestion from DC! Where are these people reading this strip? Do the Washington Times carry it, and I just don't know?)

4 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my dad retired he had a lot of time on his hands but he spent it outside making the yard look nice. Old retired people who make nuisances of themselves should read this.

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judging by the height of the annoyance cloud, obviously 'The Urge To Overcook His Hide' is greater than 'The Urge To Package Mix Her To The Moon'.

 
At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is she cooking her left hand, or just getting ready to throw a handful of hot squid on him?

 
At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing. What the hell kind of name is "Jonar" and why would anyone in Washington DC be writing in to suggest a strip since our papers don't carry TDIET? Oh yeah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home