Monday, July 24, 2006

You don't see triangular spider webs that much

Does anyone else think that today's strip just goes a bit too far? Maybe I'm oddly sensitive at the moment about this sort of thing. Anyway, yes, that has happened to me. And trust me, the guy answering the phone wouldn't look so happy when he hears that it's Aunt Heppa (what does that even mean???). Because he knows that he's in for an earful of her ailments. I have relatives who are the same way, but you know what? I suck it up. And really, "I just called to see how you are" is an expression.

Yes, I am bit cranky about this. Sera de Leo needs to shut it and enjoy the time she has left with her aunt.

And really, the guy answering the phone totally could've been sitting there, drinking his coffee while Heppa talked. She's the one doing all the talking; that leaves him to do other things. And what an awkward position to remain in so long!

One thing Scaduto does that really annoys me is how, in dialogue bubbles, he'll actually write "etc." (or, in today's case, "etc., etc., and on and on ad nauseam." It's not that hard to put that outside the dialogue bubble. Or just eliminate it! We get the point.

...Wow. I really am cranky about today's strip. Sorry!

8 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that "nauseam" that Scaduto wrote? Well, we all make mistakes now and then. Love the spider webs, though. I've always appreciated a good spider web gag. I have a suggestion for Auntie Heppa's word balloon. Finish it up with "et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseum, ad infinitum, and so on, and so on, and so forth, and more of the same, and the like, and blah, blah, blah, . . . " This is Auntie Heppa actually saying this stuff aloud, understand. I do it (every time!): somebody will ask me how to get to the post office, for example, and I'll say, "Turn right at Willett Avenue, then take your next left at Burnside Avenue, and et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseum."

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm wondering how the table grew in size.

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm wondering why he's talking to his aunt with a walkie talkie. If she's close enough to be in range, wouldn't she have already told him?

Or it's a crappy rendition of a phone and I'm thinking about this too hard.

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evidently, the table was carved out of a living stump growing through the floor of the dear nephew's house. They continue to carve it over the years. This phone call must have been a long one.

 
At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Heppa" is a child-speak for horse in Finnish, like "horsie", I think.

Probably not what Scaduto tried to say, though.

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's what gets me -- if he's been so motionless that spiders have spun webs around him, what's making his coffee explode out of his cup? Poor Al ruins his own feeble joke. But big bad dog, "nauseam" is correct I think.

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Heppa" as in "heppa chondriac", I'm thinking...in Krazy Kat dialog (I think the geriatric Scaduto hails from the era when Herriman's Krazy Kat ruled the comics pages).

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it was for "Heppa Tight-ass".

Also, "Sera de Leo" is about as believable as "Arfo" or "Castrata" as a name.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home