Friday, August 31, 2007

Almost a feel-good Friday

I admit that I stared at today's strip for a few moments, uncomprehending. Wow, I thought. So today's strip is just giving credit to someone doing something nice? That's...kind of cool, actually. And it would be. Most of the topics are about the tiny, petty little things that tick people off. What a great change of pace, to have a strip like this! Of course, upon examination of the strip, I found that while it's partially a "Good job!" strip, it's also a subtle complaint against the people who gave the PILES of presents that need assembly. Do that many toys really require assembly? Would a steam shovel like that be something that someone puts together at home? I don't know. Instead, I'll ignore the complaint, as it's a bit subtle, and focus on the cake. Mmm, cake.

Yesterday's strip is also a bit confusing. Once again, it's not the concept that I have a problem with ("They can sleep through a loud tv program, but not a bug flying around the room!"), but the execution. The top panel is the real culprit. Is that kid sleepwalking? And just have the mom be sleeping, not yawning. With her eyes closed. But for content? I don't really have a problem. I should say that I don't really see an issue of sleeping through a tv show but being bothered by a mosquito (which, duh, yes, kill it!). Things like that happen to me not infrequently.

And I'd like to point out that this is at least the third Fifi Meisner-submitted strip (the other two). I really should look her up.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

Here's something to make you happy - the gift giver says "Happy Birthday", but the kid is wearing a Santa hat.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Cedar said...

I think that the hat just might be a bad coloring decision on a birthday hat.

But seriously--bad props to Al for making the kid actually look his age.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

That's not a wrongly-colored birthday hat.

It has a white fluff at the end, just like the hat I wear while opening Christmas presents.

It's also much comfier than a birthday hat - cardboard cone, tight string around your neck...

Unless the kid's birthday is at or near Christmas, and unlike everyone else born in December, he gets 10 birthday gifts and 10 Xmas gifts.
Not exactly 10, but you know you get less the closer to Christmas your birthday is - unless it's after the new year. My sister's birthday is January 22nd, and she gets a fair amount for her birthday - no more or less than I do with my August birthday. I think it's because everything's on sale after Christmas, and it's harder to shop for a birthday while shopping for Christmas.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

Fifi worries me.

The other one she sent in doesn't make the woman look that good, even if she's the one with the sloppy office (not likely, she has no education). And yesterday's? Just bizarre.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Barb said...

My mom's birthday is December 23. My dad's is January 6. Yes, they each get birthday and Christmas presents, but it is a pain in the butt. Ugh.

I think that the hat is supposed to be a birthday hat, but it sure does look like a Santa hat.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Mathew Walls said...

I can understand that it's great if someone gave you, say, a desk and assembled it for you that would be great.

But with toys you assemble, isn't half the fun assembling it?

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Cedar said...

You should do another special Sunday edition of TDIET; this most recent one's got everything: squid, yoyoitis, "Oh Yeah-h-h-h!" "Oh, Daddy! What you said!" a black sweater vest, nonsense posing as "high culture." I only wish there was an "urge" somewhere. Honestly, I'm considering framing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home