Friday, August 24, 2007

It was the poor schools that led to the vandalism

Clearly I've just been trying to avoid TDIET lately.

I feel like I'm the one missing something about Wednesday's strip. I guess it's upsetting that schools need money? More money than they received from a lottery? Are we supposed to get worked up about asking for more money for schools?

Yesterday's strip just completely blows me away. I'm kind of gobsmacked. Have we ever seen juvenile delinquency like this before? Al is clearly still in the 1950s--when was the last time anyone had to write lines? (Other than Harry Potter in Order of the Phoenix.) Seriously, the vandalism. It just keeps throwing me off. It's idiotic, though; Hekkie should be using a pseudonym (like the rash of "Borf" graffiti in the DC area a while back) (hmm, I should look to see whether "Borf Hates Bush" is still up next time I Metro into the city). What's getting to me is the color, honestly. The bright red and yellow of the graffiti just really stands out. I definitely think Al should do more criminal-themed strips.

I'm not sure what to make of today's strip. Clearly we're supposed to take Fignewt's side. It looks like Annoyia is wearing a robe--but it could be anything, really. And she does go back on saying that she wouldn't care. It looks like she very well may be the type of woman that you look at and go, "Well, no wonder he wants to stay late at the club." (And are there "clubs" like this anymore? I'm sure it's where Fignewt hangs out with other members of the Loyal Order of the Caribou, but why not just say "bar"? ...Because bar = bad and club = respectable, of course. What was I thinking?) Does he go out every night? Why? And how late is late? I really feel like I need the full history here. And also, don't use "friend wife."

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was kinda thrown visually by the Hekkie graffiti strip. I know kids look like adults in Dorksville, but before I read the caption, I thought I was looking at a Parents' Night, with the teacher addressing a group of moms. I, further, thought Hekkie was one of the moms.

Though that may have made the graffiti scene even more fun.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

The Tennessee Lottery does give money to education in the form of a $4,000 scholarship to any TN resident going to any TN college. I have one for my freshmen year. I don't think the money goes to k-12, though it may have been the reason public schools are now offering preschool.

I adore the graffiti strip! It's so wonderfully weirder than usual.

What the hell is "sign[ing] your exam paper"? I always heard of putting or writing your name, but signing? Plus, the first panel should say Hekkie hates writing his name, not writing in general - or he wouldn't have done the exam paper at all. Hekkie loves Bolla. We've seen Hekkie a lot, but never Bolla. Who is this mysterious young woman who looks old? Is she Charlie Brown's red-headed girl?

If I ever get married, I will call my husband "friend husband". It's just such an awesomely weird phrase.

But if he calls me "wifey", I'm using my Tae Kwon Do training.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

You need a Hekkie tag.

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I apparently DO have a Hekkie tag. I just forget about it. My bad!

In college, we had to write and sign the Honor Code on everything we turned in, but I don't think that's what Hekkie's teacher is talking about.

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger meep said...

I had to write lines when I was in public school in the 80s, but I doubt it goes on in public schools today.

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I was a little bit talla,
Wish I was with Bolla,

 
At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would anyone be so horrified at having to write his/her friggin' name 50 times? :-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home