Monday, August 06, 2007

Return of the killer squid (casserole)!

What's bizarre about today's strip is Al's need to point out that Dragbutt is recently retired. It really has no bearing on the strip, which is more about a married couple and a division of labor. Maybe he needed to say this, because otherwise his readers would get up in arms at the thought of a working husband having to clean up a kitchen. (Of course, this is patently untrue, as it appears that the readership of They'll Do It Every Time consists of Comics Curmudgeon readers.)

So why did Catastra have to use all those dishes to make a casserole? Honestly, if she did dirty all those making the casserole, then it's not "simple" and she and Dragbutt are about even on the labor division, I'd say.

Seriously--where did all those pots come from? The more I look, the more I wonder. And if they've been left there for ages as part of a nefarious plot to get Dragbutt to wash them...well, good for Catastra. Dragbutt deserves it if he hasn't been in the kitchen for that long.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd guess the "recently retired" bit is there as a setup to make it funny that ol' Dragbutt, who thinks he's going to take it easy now that he's retired, is suddenly faced with so much work. It fails, of course, as only a Scaduto setup could.

Have to wonder where these people live that the market for squid is so hot. Can't say I've ever tried it myself. Considering I can't stomach so much as a single, breaded shrimp, I don't think I'll be visiting Dragbutt et al for dinner any time soon.

Anyway, I thought I was the last person in the world not to have a dishwasher. What was Dragbutt slaving away for all those years if they can't buy a simple dishwasher? Must have been paying off those gambling debts and writing checks to his psychiatrist.

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps Catastra tricked him into doing all kinds of extra dishes too.

Kind of reminds me of when my brothers and sister and I were growing up... Certain household chores were rotated, and whenever one of us baked cookies or prepared dinner for the family, you can bet that it was someone else's week for dishes!

Heh-heh, we did it every time! Oh yeah-h-h-h!

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ol' Scaduto better stop using my name in his strips. Friend wife sez I should get a lawyer. It's libel, it is. Oh-h yeah-h-h-h.

 
At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I JUST NOW got that her name was Catastra and not Castrata!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home