Tuesday, July 24, 2007

HDTV, but no computers

I love the juxtaposition in yesterday's strip between the plasma HDTV (and wow, correct terminology throughout! Al must've had an assistant help him with this) and the actual image we see on the tv. It's in a shade of gray, and the ancient-looking ballplayer is tossing the ball in some random fashion. It doesn't look like he's throwing the ball on a play; maybe they're just tossing the ball around the horn after a strikeout? Anyway. The strip. Some of the set-up Junior is going on about isn't required for having a plasma HDTV (not that I do know what is required, seeing as I have a 27" regular tv). But home theater and DVR? Nope, not necessary. My parents just got an HDTV, and I don't believe they have a DVR. They certainly don't have a home theater system. I do like how Al not only had to write "Dunce" on the dunce cap, but tell us that this means "Dummy." Thanks!

Today's strip confuses me. Who are the two women in this strip? Is the woman next to Ragweed someone who works in his "home office"? Is she a maid? What's going on there? And really, this shouldn't come up. Mrs. Ragweed should say, "I'm sorry, my husband is working right now." If the jerks go into his study and start talking to him, he should just say, "I'd like to chat, but I'm really busy and possibly broke, as this 'Past due' invoice indicates. I'll give you a call later." If they won't go away, just don't engage. Continue working as though they weren't there, and they'll get the hint. And honestly, does this happen? Do whole families stop by in the middle of what's presumably a workday? If he's doing work on a Saturday, then I can see an issue. I feel bad for Ragweed and His Ladies, but they need to grow a spine, as is the case in so many of these strips.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger Cedar said...

I KNOW! What's up with the two women in the strip? And couldn't they entertain the guests, if they felt the need to, instead of the man?

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

One is his wife, obviously, maybe the other is the MIL, or HIS mother? Maybe he is like the guy on 'Big Love'?

 
At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"They need to grow a spine" -- I think you just came up with the perfect description of every single TDIET strip! :D Hmmm, it almost rhymes:
"They'll do it every time,
'cause they need to grow a spine."

 
At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes me wonder just what kind of at-home business he's in. . .

And Pal O' Mine? Geez. Another phrase nobody ever really used, even in Al's magical 1950's land.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

Maybe one's his daughter...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home