Monday, July 09, 2007

Cleverness in der strip

I...I'm not sure what to say about today's strip. I saw the top panel and got annoyed--another strip about waiting to see a doctor? Al just did a strip about it last Wednesday! It hasn't even been a week! And then I got to the bottom panel. And I admit that I was impressed. It perhaps isn't the most original joke, but it shows a degree of cleverness that's usually lacking. So, kudos to Al and Mark S.! I hope Mark is a reader of this blog or the Comics Curmudgeon, as that would help keep my worldview somewhat intact. I mean, I will say that Lugger needs to calm down a bit if the wait has had such an effect on him. But still...amusing.

I do need to briefly mention yesterday's strip. I usually don't even look at the weekend strips, but an anonymous comment sent me there. And oh, so worth it, and not even just for the mention of the Loyal Order of the Caribou. There's also the hobo from the 1930s, transported to the current day to beg for coffee money. (Honestly, that look is out-of-date even for Al.) There's a mention of belching and a jackass husband who goes to mind-numbing meetings to get away from his wife (and there's no "c" in Yakeena, Al). There's a wife by the name of, God help us all, Nudella. But no, the best part is Knockwurst von Smeek, whose wife rolls her eyes as he breaks his neck. That might be mild concern, but...I'm still a bit scared. There's too much ambiguity there.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That shattered neck thing is just plain disturbing.

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can understand Al's cartooning instinct to make the coffee-money beggar look like a 30's hobo. A more realistic depiction of a homeless person would be depressing, not "funny." Or else it would just look like one of the hundreds of ordinary folks you see out in sloppy clothes every day.
Besides, somebody's gotta preserve and perpetuate stereotype shorthand iconography like the hobo's "knapsack on a stick", and who better for the job than Al Scaduto?

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

Today's strip comic reminds me of a Dave Berg cartoon.

The man waits all day to see his doctor, and when he does, the doc tells him he needs to exercise more!

Roger Kaputnik was in it...

I miss Dave Berg.

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel kind of bad that instead of being upset over the creepiness of the whole neck breaking thing, I got mad over the use of "der" to replace "the". I'll admit that I don't know the genders of the words used after each der, but that's not how the German language works. There are two more words (die and das) that mean "the". And that's not even including case.

Normally it wouldn't bug me, but this comic isn't funny. XD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home