Monday, July 02, 2007

I didn't even realize I had a "hair" tag

I just don't get today's strip. Usually the hypocrisy in TDIETland is a tad more subtle--Fignewt is upset at his wife for spending money on her hair, but then he blows a ton of money on his clothes. Or something. I suppose the reason that it's so blatant is because it was sent in by a barber; he probably saw wives get scolded for spending money at his place, then the husbands come in and get the full treatment. Though it's not often that a "barber" would offer expensive frills; when I think "barber," I think your basic shop where a man can go in and get a shave and a haircut. The kind of place depicted in the strip would employ "hairdressers."

This bothers me, though, because as soon as Fignewt got home from the salon, his wife should tear him apart. He obviously knows that the hairdresser doesn't simply "comb your hair." It's been a while, but this kind of strip annoys me. The wife just needs to not accept that kind of crap treatment from her husband.

And why are the people who work at his salon all French?

That all having been said, I did kind of chuckle at "Headicare."

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Blogger Ryan L said...

When I was reading the second panel (out loud, in my head) my impression was like some kind of old sitcom. When the dialogue gets around to the (apparently) only native English speaker there, I imagine the French guys should stare at her a second, then chase her out of the salon, waving the barber's equivalent of a rolling pin. Unless she's supposed to be French, and Al was too lazy to write, "Zee nails, zey need cut, monsieur?".

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Tim Goral said...

I think "Sebby the Barber" is a little bitter.

 
At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny--"headicare" made me want to tear out what hair I've got left.

Somehow I don't think our pal Fignewt would go to a "barber shop" where the only person who (presumably) enjoys the company of the opposite sex is the lady offering to do his nails.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger B said...

That last guy is saying "egg massage," right? That must be French barber slang for "happy ending."

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

because French is as close to gay as Scaduto can muster.
also, if you're really withit, you call them stylists.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home