Friday, June 15, 2007

The urge to live on the edge

I'm so excited about the twofer in today's strip--both "living on the edge" and "the urge to"! And not only that, but that "the urge to" is ALSO a twofer--"two-coat paint her" and "send her to the moon"! Man, does it get any better? It's like a "Happy Friday!" present from Al.

(Though doesn't one kind of imply the other?)

I'm pretty sure we've seen this strip before, though I'm having problems finding it. There was definitely another "tired husband comes home from work and wants to rest, but his wife just won't let him!" strip at some point. I do feel for Rembrush (*sigh*); Nagella (and I realize Al was going for a play on the word "nag," but it just makes me think of Nigella Lawson, which totally isn't the right image here) isn't helping with the way she's talking to him.

But honestly, this isn't a situation I can get worked up about. Maybe when there are a few strips about a husband coming home from work and making a comment about his wife--who stayed home with the kids--must've been bored or something. But I can't get behind "Poor guy, worked so hard all day! Just let him drink his beer and nobody bother him" as a concept. Though at least being a housepainter does involve some physical activity.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y-YOU ... LOAFER!

 
At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really should know better by now, but sometimes I'm still shocked at all the hate spewed by Al's characters. Do that many married couples speak to each other like that? Every time? They make the Lockhorns look like happy, happy newlyweds.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Marion Delgado said...

maybe it's just that i have been away from TDIET for ages.

BUT GOD DAMN IS THIS POORLY DONE. it's the most muddled senile thinking "process" imaginable and completely batshite insane to boot. the language is nothing like English, the people are absurd caricatures of things I can't even pretend to guess at, etc. This is the definitive TDIET for me.

Congratulations. Today, for me, this Blog delivered 110% it is. it IS crap every time. oh my gawd.

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, why would Rembrush paint his own APARTMENT, which implies he is renting? And even if he owns it as a condo or co-op, why is he living in a crappy little unit if he's so successful at his trade?

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The point isn't that he's come home from a hard day's work and is tired. The point is either 1) He paints for a living but can't be bothered to paint his own house (bad husband) or 2) He paints for a living so painting is the last thing he wants to do when he gets home (bad wife).

Either way, everybody's miserable in Scaddutoland.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home