Monday, June 04, 2007

So "Barfo" is a surname now?

I just want to say that if I were the mail carrier in today's strip, I wouldn't deliver the Lugers' mail until the end of the day either. Nice attitude! Honestly, swearing because the mail is delivered at some unspecified time in the afternoon? All we know is that it's after the bank closes, but that could be as early as 3:30. (As far as I know, "Oh, yeah-h" isn't actually a time of day.) I have some friends who regularly got their mail between 6 and 7 in the evening. And honestly, Mr. Luger, way to live Social Security check to Social Security check. It's called financial planning. And obviously he should realize that his mail gets to his house a bit later and the day, and know that he won't be able to deposit that check until the next day.

Moral of the story: Your postal carrier chooses when he or she delivers mail. Such is life. If you're that desperate for your mail, Lugers, maybe be a bit nicer to the guy and maybe he'll stop by on his way out, instead of making you his last stop of the day.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Scott H. said...

First off, you can sign up for direct deposit for your Social Security payment, so the Lugers could avoid the hassle of dealing with the bank altogether. (Though they probably don't trust those new-fangled computers) Second, the Postal Service doesn't guarantee on-time delivery for regular mail - you can pay more for Express Mail, but I doubt the SSA is willing to spring for it. Third, if the Lugers live across the street from the post office, why don't they get a freaking post office box and walk across the street to get their mail?

Oh, wait. I'm trying to apply logic and sensibility to a TDIET cartoon.

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ten bucks says Loney Burton is the Lugers' mail carrier. ;)

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

The route makes perfect sense to me.

Why would he end his day miles away in the country?

His last neighborhood is the one by the post office, that way he can deliver the mail, return the mail truck, and go home.

Or am I backwards here?

And Dave - PO Boxes cost a little bit more than a mailbox attached to the house. Or at the end of the driveway - half our town has one version, half the other. I'd rather deliver to the ones at the driveways - no walking in uniform in summer.

But living across the street from the post office, they can mail things long before a mail carrier comes along.

Our mail comes earlier in the summer, sometimes, though I remember it coming at 5 one day.

I have no problem with the post office, in fact, I've often thought of working there - something about the sorting appeals to my obsessive side.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Cedar said...

I know, right? This one is more like, "Jerkface swears at his mailman, and acts like a monster to him. And then he wonders why his mail is late! Oh ye-ee-a-h!"

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, you hit the nail right on the head in your first sentence. Uh, does anyone with half a brain receive a Social Security CHECK anymore, particularly if you're sensitive to when it is deposited to your bank account? The "Lugers" should change their last name to "Luddite"...

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I initially was going to say something about direct deposit, but I couldn't, as I recently had a whole discussion with my grandmother about how she's never even used an ATM. She uses checks for almost everything. So...yeah. Older people frequently just don't use the technology so much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home