Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Now I have a helpful egg cooker!

I'm trying to figure out why it's important in today's strip that Fignewt is retired. It's highlighted in both the expo box and Elpie saying that he needs to get a life (when she actually means he just needs to stop bothering her--which, really, would be what most people would say). I guess we have to assume that when he had a job, he wouldn't hover that way. Probably because he came home and found dinner on the table, as it should be.

I kind of feel bad for Fignewt, though; look at his face in that top panel. He doesn't look demanding or anything, just a bit sad. Aww. Maybe that's why it's important he's retired--he doesn't really feel a sense of purpose in his life, so tries to help out. Sure, what he's saying is annoying, but now I feel bad for him.

Same with the bottom panel. If they'd chosen something other than fried eggs, I might be less sympathetic, but I have major problems with them myself (mostly flipping them, to be honest). And Elpie is just pissing me off. And what's up with the layout of the house--the bedroom open to the kitchen like that? Particularly since it doesn't look that way in the top panel.

I always seem to wind up sympathizing with the wrong person in these things, don't I?

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evidently, P. Gustafson retired in Boston and still lives in a studio apartment. I'd be pissed too.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Cedar said...

I dunno, I'm on the same page as the woman in this one. My sig o does the exact same thing--give me helpful tips when I'm cooking, then act totally helpless when he tries to cook. Can't have it both ways, dude!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home