Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Migratory complaints

I'm not entirely sure I understand today's strip, although I do see that it was submitted by a cranky Florida reader. If they're not careful, they're going to get their own tag. My biggest point of confusion is whether the Arfo and Elpie own two homes--one in the south and one in the north. The expo box isn't sure ("To visit old friends or what?"), and she says that they come up every year. If they're staying with friends, that is a bit obnoxious. But if they have a place to stay, what's the big deal? It seems logical that a couple might want to go south in the winter, and north in the summer. Lots of retirees do it; my grandparents did. And if they came north just for a vacation, is there even an issue here? I guess this might be a "grass is greener" situation.

I only just figured out the "They usta say it's not bad" comment. What the heck is "usta"? Al frequently tries to write things phonetically, but he fails miserably here. "Usta" does not mean "used to." Ever, pretty much. And people who scoff at the "dry heat" comment need to feel what 95 degrees feels like in Arizona, then feel 95 degrees in DC in July. They're very different.

Of course, this doesn't make sense if Arfo and Elpie moved to Florida. You can't say that the heat in Florida is dry. And why is the Florida person complaining? It means that people leave in the summer, which you think would make them happy.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Blogger Marc P. said...

You should make a tag for "Angry Jewish Snowbird"

I'm serious, I mean, they are the main contributers!! I'm glad my grandparents dont read TDIET!

 
At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elpie and Arfo don't like the winter up north, so when they come back to visit, it's NOT during the winter! Howzzat? Whyzzit? Huh?

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If AZ only got to 95 degrees that would be one thing. But it's already over 100 almost every day and highs will definitely be over 110 in just a few weeks.

Sure it's a dry heat, but it's also a really hot hear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home