Thursday, July 26, 2007

Not so great with the pop psychology

I'm confused by the wife in today's strip. She seems rather nonplussed in the top strip. Maybe she understands that it's silly to get a new car every 4 years? Although, you know, it's really not bad, assuming that they're leasing it. If you want a new car that frequently, I imagine that leasing would make the most sense. As for furnaces, well, I have no idea how long the average lifespan of one of those is. For some reason I'm thinking 25 years, but I could be completely off. But I live in an apartment, so I don't need to know!

But no, I don't know why Fester (no relation to the Addams Family, presumably) would think of 19 years as "practically new." It could be psychological. Maybe he and Mrs. Fester were the ones who replaced the furnace, and to admit that 19 years is a long time, he'd have to admit that he's old. Or something.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Blogger Cedar said...

I have to admit, this strip amde me smile. I understand the mindset behind it. It's like, cars are fun to buy, and everyone knows when you have a new car, and cars are such a conspicious consumptions thing, no one thinks twice about buying a new car every few years. But furances and the like are unsexy, and lame, and buying one is less fun and more a hassle. That is, he's not buying the new car because he has to, but because he wants to, and is making up some dumb excuse as to why he must. But using that same excuse to buy a new furnance would be a little silly.

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the looks of the wife's eyes, this strip needs the "spousal abuse" tag. ;-)

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Alex Rich said...

Oh, my god! Some types of things last longer than other types of things!

Like, my buddy Numnutz bought a box of disposable nose tissues last week, and then he chucked the thing just a few days later.

B-u-u-u-ut what about home-sweet-home, you ask? Like, I mean, do I even have to tell you? Why, he's had it for twenty years!

I'm missin' somethin' here, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home