Thursday, May 03, 2007

May catch-up

In Tuesday's strip...I just don't know where to start. Quite franky, if a guy showed up to pick me up for a date and it went like that, well, it'd be a first and only date. But it seems that the girl is used to it, and really, they're going to hang out with their friends at the mall. Seems pretty tame. I guess we're supposed to be horrified at the car, clothes, and language, but I have a pretty hard time getting worked up about the language when Al includes the "It goes something like so--but like, we mean, oh, yeah-h-h-h." Honestly, he's parodying himself, right? A casual reader might think that that's supposed to mock how the kids talk; it'd be a nice argument if Al didn't use that sort of thing frequently. Favorite parts of the strip: The "Luggo Buggo" and the nice couple walking by in time to witness this horrifying act.

Yesterday's strip just baffles me. If you call out sick, then your boss probably won't call you--unless your boss is a jerk. Or you're one of those super-important types, but even then, people try to avoid calling people who are sick. Call it common courtesy. And though I can't say that I've never taken a mental health day (assuming that by "ducked work" Al means "called in sick when he wasn't), I can't feel too bad for Lugger in the bottom panel. I would say that he should just have his boss call his cell phone, except that that would mean Al includes a cell phone in a strip in a way that normal people use them. Can't have that! I do love how Mrs. Lugger was practically just copied and pasted from the top to the bottom panel--only her outfit has changed.

Today's strip finds us returning, not surprisingly, to the world of medicine, hospitals, and the numerous problems surrounding visitors--an issue Al has gone over numerous times before. The only thing I find particularly noteworthy about this strip is that submitter isn't from Florida. Quite frankly, if I were a nurse and had a patient ringing for me all time, and accompanying it with calling out like that, I probably wouldn't go running to his bedside, either. I'm happy that Al didn't do what he usually does and give the patient a bandage on his head and/or arm to indicate that yes, he does belong in a hospital. Though an IV drip might be a nice touch. Anyway, I'm debating what I think about using "Nightingales" instead of "nurses." I think I like it, actually. I believe at one point, that was fairly common.

(..."My hot wheels are rarin' t'go"? Hee hee. It's funnier if you think he's talking about a toy car.)

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home