Thursday, April 26, 2007

When Al meets Lynn

Apologies for not updating earlier this week. But it's not like those strips weren't anything we'd seen before, right? I'm fairly confident I've discussed those previously, even though I couldn't find the actual strips in the archives.

Anyway, holy crap. Today's strip is just a rehash of Sunday's For Better or For Worse. I actually love it when this happens in the comics, because comics are written so far in advance and it's just kind of crazy to see that two writers planned the same idea for the same time. Obviously this is a few days off, but I'm ignoring that.

I'm impressed that Yorick gets five hours of grammar a week in school. I wonder what grade he's in. We certainly covered grammar when I was a kid, but I don't think I ever consistently had an hour of grammar a day. And honestly, if he gets that much grammar in school, then hopefully he's learning it correctly. A person doesn't always have to speak or write with perfect grammar--I'm aware than I ended the second sentence of this paragraph with a preposition, but it's not about to keep me up at night. As long as Yorick can come off sounding reasonably intelligent most the time, and can write decently, I'm not going to fret over some oddly phrased song lyrics. I'm not even going to get into the spellings--he's just listening to the lyrics, Al; odd spellings can't affect him.

And let's look at the lyrics: "Yo, baby/Who don't love you/I can't getcha off of my brain/No how/You're my favorite chick." Well, yeah. That doesn't make too much sense. But really, most lyrics don't. I have a book that's about how the Beatles wrote their songs, and a bunch of them are just like, "I liked the melody and threw in some words." So...yeah.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Blogger Taquelli said...

Not to mention there's not a single song that could go with those lyrics. A melody is does not have. Nor has there ever been a group in the past 50 years that consist of a single guy with an acostic guitar (barring the Jack Johnsons, but they don't count because they don't have music videos).

Also, there's a general concensus in the linguistic community that the 'ending sentences with prepositions' rule is absurdly precriptionist and in no way reflects how any English speaker has ever spoken. To misquote Winston Churchill: "This is the sort of English up with which I will not put"

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm going to ask anyway, how does Yorick fare on his English exams?

And is he named Yorick because of his medieval hair style? Or is it the other way around?

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My guess is that Al toned the submission down in this case. It was probably a screed about how useless it is to try to teach kids English when they spend all their free time listening to rap, with its "fo shnizzle bizzle in the hizz-ouse, yo, bling bling 2 phat def tha gangsta, fiddy dogg whoop whoop cap yo azz, ho."

 
At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for the TDIET of 4-26-2007, is there really any "bistro" other than a theoretical "health food bistro" that doesn't serve "diet drinks"? I seriously doubt that. If carbonated soft drinks are offered, one of them's gonna be "Diet Coke" or "Diet Pepsi". I guess the point is legitimate, though: people that drink diet sodas don't usually watch their calories elsewhere, and healthy eaters tend to view diet sodas as poison.

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al is confusing poor grammar with slang! Big difference, Al! You ass!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home