Thursday, February 01, 2007

The key is to pick up an easy meal while you're shopping

The big mystery in today's strip is the spelling change in Migraina's name to Mygraina. Is Al trying to trip us up so we no longer see the connection to the word "migraine"?

I will make a confession. I totally do this thing all the time. I'll go through my cookbooks, find some recipes, do a big trip to the grocery, and come home and have, like, a hot dog. Or order Chinese. This is possibly because I tend to do my shopping after work, so after all that, it's like 8 and I really don't feel like putting any effort into cooking. There was an episode of a British show called Bob and Margaret (which I totally miss) that was basically this--a big trip to the store, followed by going out to eat.

Anyway, kudos on an idea that actually does happen with a fair amount of regularity. I'm going to ignore the fact that we're clearly supposed to be exasperated with My/igraina. My only disappointment is that we don't know what she's making for Fignewt. It obviously involves squid, but I'd love to know what else. (Also, "fixins"?)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I was just thinking about "Bob and Margaret" the other day but couldn't remember the name! I miss it too.

In the first panel, Mygraina looks so awful, I'd be a little concerned if that was only a result of grocery shopping. I'm sure I've felt that way in a crowded grocery store too, but it's usually at the end of a long work day. Of course, she DID spend the better part of the day shopping...

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if "they'll do it every time" but they'll certainly submit it every time! M. D'Agostino submitted the same idea, and Al used it on Feb. 2, 2005:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/tdiet.asp?date=20050222

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Tim Goral said...

Wow, I'm impressed with MWGallaher's sleuthing abilities. How on earth did you find that? It's nearly the same text, too.

I think we should all comb the TDIET archives and just resend old gags. Al has no qualms about reusing them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home