Friday, January 26, 2007

A manure joke would've made this funnier

I guess in today's strip we're supposed to get upset over the guy using the Latin names for the plants. And I wouldn't know that except for the blue guy at the bottom with his "balonius galoreum." Really, the questioner had to know what he was getting into. He clearly knew that Humusby is an avid gardener, and like most people who are really interested in a subject, Humusby likes to talk about it. It would be like someone coming up to me, knowing that I really like musical theatre, and asking me what I think of Les Mis. Or, knowing that I'm a history buffy, asking me about Thomas Jefferson or John Wilkes Booth. Get ready for the long haul, folks. I mean, sure, I might try to control myself, but it doesn't always work.

And at least Humusby is giving interesting little descriptions of the plants. The questioner can be like, "Oh, the bubarossius agrivatus sounds nice--not much care, you say? Does it have a more common name?" Or is that being too polite and logical for this strip?

What I keep coming back to is the picture of the questioner. He reminds me of the cartoons of Washington Post columnist Gene Weingarten. Naturally I can't find one of these cartoons at the moment, but that's frequently how he's pictured. To the point where I almost want to e-mail it to Gene for his thoughts. I mean, this guy doesn't look like the typical inhabitant of TDIET. But who knows.

Edited to say that I found one of the cartoons! Compare for yourself here.

Seriously, folks. You don't want to get me started on John Wilkes Booth.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And notice that the questioner doesn't look "sorry he asked." Apparently it's just the eavesdropping jerks (and the shocked woman in the background) who have a problem.

 
At 4:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it might actually but that the guy is just bullshitting, but it's hard to tell. All those latin names are extremely fake, but of course EVERY name in They'll Do It Every Time is fake, so I don't know if that's intentional or not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home