Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Adult programming

Am I supposed to feel bad for Junior in today's strip? Really? Darn that mother for wanting her child to complete his homework before allowing him to watch television! This way he'll get a good education! Really, if his homework takes him so long that only "dumb grown-up programs" (psst, Al, most of us normal people call them "shows"), then he should probably be going to bed, because those shows aren't coming on until 9 or 10--it's a medical program, shockingly enough, and Grey's Anatomy and House come on at 9 (I think; I don't actually watch House) and ER comes on at 10.

I think Junior's complaint isn't so much that only grown-up programs are on (psst, Al, there's this thing called "cable" that many people have, allowing for more than just 4 channels), it's that his parents are monopolizing the television. And again, this isn't something I'm going to come down on. I think my parents pretty much let my sister and me decide what to watch, but I also got stuck with Wall Street Week on a somewhat regular basis. And God help you if you wanted to watch something other than MacGyver when it was on. Really, the parents pay for the tv. They pay for the cable (or, if there isn't cable, then the electricity at least). I'm going to yield to them.

If there is more than one television and they do have cable...then I don't know what to tell Junior. He either needs to expand his horizons or...I don't know.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger Marc P. said...

There's this new fangled thingamabob called a Video Casette Recorder, It's gonna be bigger than BetaMax I tells ya, says Bosslady Mom.

 
At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the idea is that by the time he finally gets to watch TV, the only shows that are on are all full of sex and violence, which Bosslady doesn't want her son seeing, either. So, by making him do his homework, she's actually exposing him to content she wouldn't approve of.

 
At 4:04 AM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

I think that joke was funnier the first time I saw it, in Mad Magazine, before the 80s.

But what do I know?

I'm not a syndicated cartoonist making scads of money.

If that kid has that much homework, he should be in high school, and watch adult situations every day and/or have a study hall for homework.

My favorite ploy was doing homework during the commericals or boring parts of the 'kid' shows. Or Law and Order. Whatever.

How many times has he shown the doctor ogling that nurse on tv?


Ha! My word verification is 'knsta', which made me think of canasta, which was popular when this joke was relevant.

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sympathize with the kid. Homework today takes a ridiculous amount of time, and if he can do it later what difference does it make if he wants to watch his favorite shows?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home