Friday, January 19, 2007

Return to sender

There is a sad lack of squid in today's strip. Also no car. Sometimes I wonder why I even read this strip.

Junk mail. How original! But really, for all these people know, a bunch of their junk mail could be lost! Maybe they should be getting tons more! I'm inclined to think so, actually, because all of the junk mail is listed to "Occupant." Very little of the junk mail I get is sent to "Occupant"; most of it is sent to me. It's just for stuff I don't want. They're called "mailing lists," Al, and most of us are cursed by them.

Even so, he's not kidding when he says that these people are getting junk mail by the bushelful. Geez. I feel bad for the mailman; he's just doing his job, and this guy is glaring at him. Really, why are these people so mad? Isn't junk mail something we've just resigned ourselves to at this point? I guess he's mad because they still haven't gotten "that important letter [he's] been waiting for...two weeks now." But man, even when I've been waiting for a check, I don't get angry at the mail.

And if someone wants to enlighten me about how this is a "sign of the times," please do. Did they not get junk mail pre-1956?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger Songs to Setirov said...

It is so a sign of the times, and Al knows perfectly well there was junk mail in '56.

56 is the times he's talking about.

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I strongly suspect that the "junk mail" largely consists of advertisements designed to lure Luggnut into ordering frozen squid through the mail, so he won't have to wait around for service at his local squid restaurant.

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does "comes it the junk mail" mean? Is this the equivalent of "but when it comes to junk mail?". Is Yoda speaking?

 
At 2:23 AM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

As a new reader of your great blog, I have some general TDIET thoughts -

1)The people who send these in are either made up or having fun at his expense.

2)Some of the gripes remind me, vaguely, of Dave Berg's great work in MAD.

which leads me to

3)His department bit is also in MAD. (Letters and Tomatoes Dept, Serge In General Dept, Berg's Eye View Dept, etc.)

Only not funny, and alfred will strike me down for comparing him to this abomination. Does anyone like this strip?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home