Friday, September 08, 2006

I thought everyone loved a parade

Swell. Today's strip features yet another wacky adventure in the hospital. As a commenter suggested, the problem here is clearly that only 90-year-olds read this strip and make suggestions, so the percentage of strips about hospitals and the medical system is going to be astronomical. It drives me up a wall.

I would think that if you're in a hospital (a hospital that clearly doesn't look like one; it looks like these doctors and nurses are tromping into this guy's bedroom at home) (but at least we don't see an obvious broken leg or bandage around the head), you should probably be more concerned with whatever the doctors need to do to you than some important phone call. And whoever is calling you should realize that you're in the hospital, and would be understanding about timing, etc.

Also, I'd think that the hospital would frown on a patient doing a blood test and eating lunch at the same time. And wouldn't the nurse taking the temperature also be able to take his blood pressure? Wouldn't most people in the hospital already be hooked up to machines that would tell you that sort of thing (except, of course, in the case of the broken leg)?

Clearly my knowledge of hospital life is minimal, thankfully. But honestly, judging from some of these strips, I'd say that Scaduto isn't that much more knowledgeable than I am.

5 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't the "under your tongue" technology for taking one's temperature passe? The last time I was at the doctor's, the nurse put the thermometer in my ear and took a digital reading. But I've never been hospitalized, so what do I know.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger DaveyK said...

For that matter, why the hell is he taking the call on the hospital's land line. Doesn't this idiot own a cell phone?

If he was sick before, just wait til he gets the bill for using the phone in his hospital room.

Howzzat? Oh yeah!

 
At 4:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been to the hospital 3 times since 2003 (to give birth), so I can tell you a few things about how they do it in Queens:
- they take temp under the tongue still
- they do temp and blood pressure at the same time as they are not exclusive activities
- the hospital phone isn't like a hotel phone. they have a person come around enabling the phones for a daily fee ($3 a day. It wasn't that bad, though more expensive than regular phone service.)
- people aren't supposed to use cellphones there, but everybody does, and I don't see why they have the rule
- the only people who called me at the hospital were my ma and my husband. Maybe a few other relatives, too, but mostly they let me sleep.

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They have the rule because phone signals can mess up some of the equipment. I'm not sure on the specifics, but you can probably look it up somewhere.

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When was the last time people worried about "long distance phone calls"? Alaska isn't even all that long-distance any more. China, maybe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home