Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Attack of the killer giant babies

When I first saw today's strip, I sighed. Not another doctor strip! I thought. Luckily, it's not. (Although I use the word "luckily" loosely.)

I'd like to point out that that is definitely not a newborn. It's huge! It takes up the entire bassinette! It weighs at least 20 pounds! He's huge!

And no, a baby should not be exposed to secondhand smoke or people coughing and sneezing all over it. I assume we are supposed to look at the people in the bottom panel as the ones in the wrong, as opposed to the medical staff in the top panel. Although with Scaduto, you never know...

(And do people still wear face masks like that around babies these days? I've never actually had any experience with newborns, so I don't know.)

The "Like it is dep't" in the exposition box makes me think of the baseball saying: "Hit 'em where they ain't." I feel like Scaduto also hits them where they ain't--he's making points that make no sense. Or are insanely commonsensical. You know?

5 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger DaveyK said...

This would make more sense if he just had the decency to admit this is actually "Like it was dep't, circa 1940"

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Marion Delgado said...

Every hour alive with the cord cut gives a newborn an increased chance of survival. And the baby should definitely nurse right away, get the antibodies in. A baby brought home a day or two later is much stronger than one just born.

Hospitals, including the maternity ward, are indeed more sanitary (though not much, alas - iatrogenic illnesses are shockingly common) than a typical Plugger home circa 1950. This is a shock, why?

I think it's clear that the average TDIET suggester is a freaking moron about doctors, and Scaduto a cranky weirdo about depicting them. Which doesn't say much for their hostility to them.

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The average TDIET suggester hasn't had much to do with babies since about 1952.

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're afraid of unwittingly giving the baby polio.

 
At 4:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They wear masks when performing a C-section. That's the only time I saw anybody wearing masks (on my third kid, so I should know).

The only other time I can think of is if they're handling wee preemies, but those would mainly be staying in enclosed incubators anyway. Not-so-wee preemies weren't treated very differently from full-term babies during my last hospital stay.

Lastly, when I had my first baby, there was a giganto-baby in the nursery who had to be at least 12 pounds. The parents were huge (both of them), too. It was pretty hard to believe the kid was newly born.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home