Wednesday, August 30, 2006

We're talkin' baseball

Scaduto is clearly using today's strip and his knowledge of my love of baseball to suck up to me. When the O's are winning, I have that same idiotic expression as the guy in the top panel. And oh, I do know this pain--the team's out on a long road trip, they do well, you're excited, and you go out and watch them lose. It's painful. But...really, it's not a given that it'll happen every time.

(This reminds me of last season. After the All-Star break, the O's went on a long road trip. They had been tearing it up in the first half, but were starting to fall. Even so, spirits were high. Palmeiro had just had his 3000th hit. Javy Lopez was coming back off the DL. The O's return to Camden Yards. All is exciting. We were only 3.5 back! And...they lose. They win the next night, but lose the next 8. The season goes straight to pot. It totally sucked. We wound up 21 games behind.)

(...Um, yeah, sorry. This is about a comic strip, not baseball.)

The headline "Win 14 out of 16 on road" confuses me. There's no way that the Birdlegs went on a 16-game road trip. The longest road trips are usually around 9 or 10 games, and those are considered pretty darn long. Maybe they had a brief homestand in the middle? The top caption seems to imply this happens a lot, so I'll just assume it's early in the season and they've only had 16 road games, total. Still...odd. Most teams do better at home than on the road.

I noticed that the submitter is from New York, so thought I'd take a gander at the Mets' and Yankees' records. The Mets are 38-26 away, 43-23 at home. Clearly this doesn't apply to them. The Yankees are 38-29 away, 39-23 home. Hmm, a bit closer here, but even so, they still have a better home record than away. Maybe the submitter is complaining about a minor league team?

And the score is 19-0. That smarts.

Detail he got right: Visiting team is listed on top on the scoreboard; home team on bottom. Correct! Good job!

Detail he got wrong: The scoreboard goes to 14 innings? Dang! Most nowadays are electronic, but even the older ones only go to 10 or 11 innings, because honestly, how often do you run into a 14-inning game?

Yes, I have put too much thought into this. Once you get me started on baseball, I won't shut up.

5 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger DaveyK said...

You'd think that the distance to the right field wall was somehow crucial to the panel, given that the number 325 is the singlemost prominent item in the lower drawing.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Maybe the issue is that the Birdlegs have no left-handed batters or righties who hit to the opposite field. Their opponents, however, have many of these, making playing at home a distinct disadvantage.

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the anachronism of everyone dressed in their Sunday best to watch the baseball game.

 
At 1:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today's strip: ultraest ??
Gah. If it's hyped so much I don't watch it,
or wait back and see what others think through reviews and whatnot.
They go right in and then decide what to watch.. How I wish I had that leisure.

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can usually deal with the awful grammar in TDIET, but today...

"Wot hoppens?"

Is he trying to sound like Fred Willard in A Mighty Wind? Oh yeah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home