Tuesday, August 22, 2006

We get it. You don't like doctors.

As soon as I saw that today's strip was set in a hospital, I sighed. Seriously, what does Scaduto (and, I guess, the people who send in these ideas) have against the medical system? God knows it's not perfect, but the situations he highlights are hardly the ones that most people encounter, namely, waiting forever for a doctor and only getting to see him or her for 5 seconds before he or she bustles out. ("D'ja ever notice that you wait, you know, um, forever to see Dr. Tardy...but it seems like as soon as he's in the door, he goes right back out it! Oh yeah!")

Anyway. I'm trying to figure out why exactly this guy is getting a visit from a dietician in the first place. It looks like he's suffering from a broken arm. (My theory is that Scaduto is convinced that people need to be wrapped up in bandages to justify their presence in a hospital. Just draw some IVs, dude!) I believe that most people who are visited by a dietician have undergone something that will affect their diet--maybe they had something removed from their body, so they can no longer digest food. Maybe they had a heart attack. Maybe they were diagnosed with diabetes.

And just because this woman is overweight doesn't mean she doesn't know what's good and bad to eat. It's the same thing as doctors who smoke. And pretty much all of us know what we should eat (broccoli, carrots, whole wheats), and yet at least occasionally indulge in things we shouldn't (funnel cake, McDonald's, Twinkies). And how I could give dating advice to others without necessarily a fabulous track record myself. Just because we know what we should do doesn't mean we actually do it ourselves. This is a universal problem.

Unrelated, has anyone else ever had a bowl of chicken broth? I thought it wouldn't be too bad--I imagined it would be like chicken noodle soup, only without the noodles and small chicken bit--but it was dreadful. Blech.

7 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the separate cast and bandage and traction device for his pinkie finger. Oh yeah.

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the separate cast and bandage and traction device for his pinkie finger. Oh yeah.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger B said...

It took me forever that he was making light of the fact that the dietician is overweight, seeing as how she basically fits the same "lumpy people" template as all of his characters. I exert way too much brain power on this stupid comic.

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The recurring "hospitals and health care system" theme proves that Scaduto really is getting his ideas from readers, who are in most cases 85 or older, and for whom hospitalization is a weekly occurrence.

 
At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had chicken broth on my fourth day of a fractured collarbone,
and people even let me go ahead in line so I guess my horrid hospital gown over a skirt gave some leverage.
There were veggies, chicken pieces,
and it was rather good.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Ooten Aboot said...

Chicken broth is basically water in which chicken (usually the meat and the bones) has been boiled, maybe with salt. Some call it chicken stock.

If the broth Barb had was dreadful, possible causes include too much water (cheap cook), not boiling long enough (lazy cook) or spoilage (careless cook) either before or after boiling. Chicken broth is like life: it is what you make it.

If Anonymous had chicken broth or stock with veggies and chicken pieces added, it was chicken soup. If there is a difference between broth and stock, it is that broth is served as is, rather thin, while stock is used as the basis for a more substantial soup.

Any Jewish mother will tell you that (her) chicken soup will always make you feel better.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I had broth from a can. Generic broth from a can. It was pretty much the only thing I could eat before I had a minor medical procedure. Blech.

Update for today will coming this evening. Work today has been a bit crazy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home