Thursday, August 17, 2006

I'll tell you what isn't sooper

I'm trying to be positive about today's strip. At least it's not a recycled idea. And, um...Shoot. I'm out of positive things to say.

Because, really. "Soopermarket"? Soopermarket? I'm cringing. A lot. That is just so wrong. It's not like he's trying to go for the phonetic spelling, as "sooper" and "super" are pronounced the same way. It's just wrong and bad. Ugh. And "calorie cart"? Do people actually use that term? Because they're stupid and wrong.

And no, that has never ever happened to me. If a cart sucks inside the store, it sucks outside the store, too. It usually sucks more outside, because it's rolling over asphalt, not pretty, shiny, slippery tiles. Maybe the problem is that the submitter is from San Francisco, which I hear is a fairly hilly city (I've never been, so I wouldn't know). Perhaps F. Fiorino's local grocery store is located on a hill, so whenever he/she takes his/her cart outside, it rushes down the hill--gravity is tricky that way.

This did get me to wonder whether people submit ideas that are fairly reasonable, but Scaduto just changes them around for humor reasons. Like, he'll read something and be like, "Yeah, that's true, but it needs to be funnier!" and then totally mess with it. I wonder if I contacted one of these people and asked whether the strip illustrated what was sent, whether the person would say yes, or whether the person would complain about how Scaduto messed with his/her idea.

7 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Blogger DaveyK said...

I think this really rates as one of the stupidest episodes of TDIET ever, and that's saying something.

The answer, as you point out, is "gravity".

The store's floor is level; the parking lot is not always level. So in the parking lot, there is a real possibility that any wheeled device without a brake will roll away. For fuck's sake, is this really surprising to the flat-earthers who read TDIET?

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My theory *ahem* which belongs to me *ahem* is this, which is mine (my theory, that is):
Al Scaduto makes this stuff up himself and tags it with some made up name.

Given the power of the internet, it shouldn't be too hard to track down someone with an uncommon name from a smaller town.

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up with physics in TDIET World? The parking lot drawn is pretty flat- I don't think it's steep enough for gravity to cause the cart to "ZOOOM-M-" away from her.

I blame the electromagnet shop that's across the street.

And what about "Thar she blows"? Is he calling that woman fat?

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bizarre "monikers" he always somehow comes up with are a lovable trademark of TDIET. "Moniker" is itself a TDIETimeism, because it sounds kinda funny. I'm submitting this comment on the "electric spider home" by typing on my "alphabet soop maker."

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pelagius got it right. None of these people are real... do any newspapers even carry TDIET?

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Barb said...

Martin, for what it's worth, I believe "thar she blows" refers to the shopping cart, not the woman.

 
At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Denver area has (or at least had) a supermarket chain named "King Soopers." The spelling always bugged the crap out of me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home