Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Searching for Crovney

OK, wow. The hatred that Nerdly shows for mailmen (shouldn't that be "mail carriers"?) in today's strip blows me away. Who has such strong feelings about mailmen? I can understand not being terribly fond of them--I mean, really, the vast majority of my mail is either bills or junk. (Scaduto, not realizing that it's no longer the 1950s, needs to hop on the e-mail train; though he does have an e-mail address himself, so, I don't know.) But dang! And if that's one of his favorite things to talk about? And who's really around to personally receive the mail from their mail carrier? I guess Nerdly is retired, and waits for that moment every time, when he can go out and berate his mailman. And they wonder why these people go postal!

His wife really does need to stop him, though. She's obviously shocked and horrified, even though this is apparently a commonplace occurrence.

I love how lost Nerdly is in the bottom panel, though. Particularly the fact that he doesn't know what town he's in. Awesome. I'd imagine that he'd probably know the Crovneys' address, at least, and a mail carrier would be an excellent source to ask. You know, assuming you were in the right general location.

I do wish to point out that "Nerdly" isn't the right name in this situation. There's nothing nerd-like about what he's doing, which is essentially being a big, jerkish bully--not exactly traits of a nerd.

3 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judging from the car he's driving, I think he's a Shriner.

 
At 2:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the 1950s (and for a few decades afterwards) the word nerd had a slightly different meaning from its modern sense. Originally, it merely meant a loser in general, or to quote dictionary.com which has both definitions: "A foolish, inept, or unattractive person."

So it would seem that like so many other things in this comic, the usage of the word "nerd" is stuck in the 1950s.

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, apparently Dr. Seuss invented the word "nerd" for his book "If I Ran The Zoo." Just thought you might like to know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home