Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Ein anderer Dummkopf

I saw the huge exposition box in today's strip and shuddered--that's never a good sign. But what really blows me away is the sheer amount of dirty dishes Mr. and Mrs. Leadbutt have lying around their kitchen (living room? kitchen/living room? I'd say the staircase Leadbutt is coming down must be the back staircase, but the presence of the table with the lamp on it is throwing me off). Seriously, that is way more than just one night's worth of dishes, unless they had some sort of dinner party, which I guess is possible.

I'm totally thrown off by the "lighting" in this strip. It actually looks like it's the middle of the night; or, at least, that it's dark (maybe a winter morning? do they just get up really early?). The lack of color of anything besides the Leadbutts is bothering me as well; it makes it much harder to make out anything in the room.

Also, "frau"? I guess Scaduto took German in high school or something.

Scaduto does get points for including that Mrs. Leadbutt works hard and the message of the strip is a valid one. And it reminds me of the times that after dinner, my dad would be all, "Oh, honey, you don't have to clean up the kitchen tonight!" to my mom. Then he'd say, "Barb will clean up!"

Only I always actually did. Which makes me better than Leadbutt. Woo.

3 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, sorry, Al, I'm just not buying this one. When a man has sent the wife to bed and said he's going to clean up he has scored serious points and he's not going to squander them.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger DaveyK said...

Sure, this happens. Of course this happens. Everyone on occasion forgets to do something the promise to do.

But, for God's sake, the title of this strip is "They'll do it EVERY time."

Is it too much to ask that the content match the title?

While I'm riled up...what the hell is the deal with the way Scaduto writes the word "and"? Why does he always put it in an illegible cursive script?

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Lethargic said...

It has always seemed sort of fitting that the newspaper that carries this strip features the unlikely name of the Post-Intellingencer. Now, I realize that this is Post hyphen intelligencer not post (after) intelligence. What comes after intelligence? I can only assume the nature of intelligence is cyclical so I must therefore assume what comes after intelligence is stupidity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home