Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Scaduto vs. doctors...again

Today's strip proves that Scaduto--and the people of America, I guess--really don't like doctors. And are easily influenced by television and its portrayal of doctors. It was only last Thursday's strip that examined the differences between a wife's reaction to a tv character's illness and her husband's; the July 4th strip lamented high-cost precriptions that don't do anything; and on June 14, Scaduto railed against hospitals with lots of non-health workers (whose desks, naturally, did not have anything more technologically advanced than a cup of coffee).

More than make me shake my head and sigh--which is what the typical TDIET strip does--this one makes me annoyed. Does Scaduto know anything about the health care system? I imagine the doctor is more than overworked. I'd suggest the patient call for a nurse, but there's a bit of a nursing shortage. It's all well and good to say that doctors should remain by their patients' sides 24/7, but that's not realistic. And I certainly wouldn't go so far as to suggest that this implies that doctors aren't concerned about their patients.

(I mean, yes, of course, there are a lot of jerky doctors out there. I won't deny that.)

And really--you broke your leg. What do you want the doctor to do? Unless...I guess he could also have a concussion or something. Can you tell that I haven't dealt much with hospitals? (And I like it that way, thanks.)

I am amused at the woman's "My, my!" in reaction to the tv show. I think it's cute for anyone to have that reaction. You know her full thought is, "My, my, that doctor is hot!" That's not concern on her face; it's lust. Trust me.

3 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My guess is that the TDIEF target audience has the numerous contacts with the health care system that 85-year olds can be expected to have. I'm sort of bummed out, however, that there the doctor doesn't have a great Scaduto name like "Butchero" of "McSawbones".

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off topic, but Scaduto's bio mentions he lives in Milford CT. During a train ride from DC to NYC I had the misfortune of sitting directly in front of a couple from Milford. They were about Mr. Scaduto's age and did nothing but complain for the entire three hour ride. I suspect that Al just goes to these people for his daily subject matter. Or perhaps Milford is some sort of Village of the Damned where everyone is full of petty complaints and every waking moment is packed with niggling annoyances.
Also, Milford is Gil Thorp's hometown, and we know that place is full of mutants.

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you had erred and posted the wrong link, until I realized that today's strip was almost identical with last Thursday's, down to the elevated leg, the language, etc. You don't suppose he's running out of ideas? Naw. Must be me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home