Thursday, August 24, 2006

I will sandwich him to the moon

Strips like today's strip upset me a lot more than they should. I think we're supposed to react by laughing and saying, "Yeah, that is annoying," whereas my reaction is more along the lines of yelling at the beleagured wife to just leave her jerk husband already.

Honestly, if my (hypothetical) husband berated me for serving sandwiches for dinner, including a sarcastic "A fine housekeeper you are!!" to it (which doesn't even make sense, as I consider "housekeeping" to be stuff more like cleaning and doing laundry; really, he should've been all, "Some chef you are!"), I would take the sandwiches away from him, eat one myself, throw the other away (and notice that there's only one sandwich; does she not get to eat?), and let him fend for himself. I somehow doubt that he could come up with anything better than a sandwich himself.

I mean, look at his expression in the top panel. He has totally lost it. Elpeena needs to get out of this relationship ASAP.

This strip almost riled me up to the point that I didn't notice that it's another "Living on the edge" entry. Almost. Ditto the horrifying looking cabbage (is that neon green?) and the "yum...yeah...yum-m." It's like these people have Tourette syndrome, and their tic is to say that word "yeah" a lot.

10 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The husband's got a bit of a horse-mouth in the bottom panel. What is up with that.

I never thought it was possible for me to hate a "comic" as much as I hate TDIET.

I HATE IT SO MUCH.

OH

YEAH

Keep up the good work, oook-okk?

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Ooten Aboot said...

A horse-mouth? Why not? He's a horse's er, um, what would Scaduto say if he meant butt, wanted a stronger word, yet didn't want to offend his dear readers?

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Fuzzy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Fuzzy said...

(Oops, accidently clicked 'publish'. I meant to say...)

It's like these people have Tourette syndrome, and their tic is to say that word "yeah" a lot.

What if they do have Tourette's, but Scaduto is just cleaning up the language for the newspaper. If you read a TDIET replacing every 'yeah' with a swear word, it becomes slightly more... enthusiastic at least.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Fuzzy said...

I had to see what it would look like (kinda NSFW):

http://fuzzyco.com/images/misc/TFDIET060824.gif

(TFDIET, of course, stands for 'They'll F'in Do It Every Time)

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Husband? No, I think this poor woman actually *is* his housekeeper. You know, like a guy might have had back in Sactamacudo's day.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger B said...

The guy is referred to as "Himself," perhaps he's some sort of deity with the authority to be such a pain in the ass.
Maybe she poisoned the corned beef and cabbage before bringing it out.

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to think that the "Living on the Edge" title implies "Living on the edge of a bloody murder", then imagine what the next panel might be. For example, in the next panel here we might see Elpeena frantically stabbing Himself with that meat fork before delivering the coup de grace with a tray to his head.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Dave said...

I think there's something to her possibly being his housekeeper or maid. Look at her clothes. The only difference between panel one and panel two is the color. Given that he can't consistently draw the same person the same way twice normally, he must have really worked to match the two panels so exactly.

Elpeena?

I'm gong to publish "The Big Book of Scaduto Baby Names" and make a FORTUNE!

OH YEAH!

 
At 3:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is like the Lockhorns in Hell.

It's funny to me that the word "himself" here conveys arrogance -- in Hiberno-English it's a very common, if somewhat folksy and whimsical, use. That's not how Scudato means it, of course. And before you say anything about the corned beef and cabbage, that's about as Irish as Darby O'Gill and the Lucky Charms People.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home