Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Well-grilled sardine sandwiches would go well with the squid goulash

Today's strip is yet another illustration of an instance where the people it mocks aren't the ones doing anything wrong; the people whose behavior needs to change are the ones who sent in the complaint.

Why, why, why would these people continue to ask Tomainia (which I'm sure has some sort of double-meaning, but I'm too lazy too look it up) to bring food without providing any themselves? It looks like there's a whole table there, ready to hold her various dishes (which, mmm, goat cheese). In the background, that might be a table with food alternatives, but I'm not going to bet on it.

Idiot relatives--Tell her not to bring anything! If she insists, make sure there's other food there to eat! It's really that simple. And don't look so surprised! Again with the inappropriate shocked expressions. They clearly all knew this was coming.

I do appreciate Scaduto's continued examples of horrible food: squid goulash, goat cheese fondue (would this really be bad? goat cheese on its own is good), liver pot pate, lima bean dessert.

And, bicarb? Wha? Clan reunion? Just say "family reunion," Al! Geez. I won't even go into "most worst-cooked dishes," because if I think about it more, my head will explode. At least the "erp" is actually fairly appropriate.

Although I do really like the name Fooster.

12 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah.. I real her name like 'Total Mania' or 'Tormina'.
I wonder if there's a lot of milk, sugar, and cream bowls.
Fooster and Tomania don't mind the food, and I agree that the invite-peope are bunch of jerks >.>

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe like ptomaine food poisoning?

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I love how Fooster and Torminia have the same haircut. I think Al called it a Clan reunion because he figured the more accurate Klan reunion wouldn't go over in a modern newspaper.

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My vote is with ptomaine because it fits in perfectly with Mr. Scaduto's own private time-warp. From the online dictionary:
"ptomaine poisoning - a term for food poisoning that is no longer in scientific use; food poisoning was once thought to be caused by ingesting ptomaines"

Also, have to love the cut'n'paste job on the family.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I thought that ptomaine involved poisoning, but like I said, I was too lazy to look it up. So thanks!

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To those who wanted to contact submitters to this strip to see if these are for real... Google the submitter for this one to get the phone number. Now, who's going to be the brave one?

 
At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "wipe out half of China" bit is kind of disturbing.

 
At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, you REALLY are obsessed with this strip to the point of yelling at the (fictional) cartoon characters "...idiot relatives--Tell her not to bring anything!" Man, you gotta chill...it's just a damn cartoon!
Also, I think that you mean "...not going to bet on it...".

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y'know... Ahem, sorry about that. Anyway, I read it three times before I saw it this way, but maybe -- just maybe -- "most worst-cooked dishes" is trying to say "the greatest number of dishes that are all the worst cooked" instead of just piling on superlatives. So maybe the complaint is supposed to be that everyone is bringing ONE dish, and the terrible cook takes it upon herself to bring many dishes.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Barb said...

re: "bed on it"

Fixed. I clearly need to get some more rest. Mmm, bed.

 
At 5:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Bicarb' is short for 'bicarbinate water,' an upset stomach cure of old...

Jeez, I'm 31 and I'm the only one who knew this? Oh, YEAH! ;-)

 
At 5:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and Oh, YEAH is a lot funnier if you think of Macho Man Randy Savage saying it. Actually, TDIET is vastly improved all round if you imagine Macho Man as the narrator of the strip! Try it, it's fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home