Thursday, March 01, 2007

Cartoons trump football--but not baseball

The wording in today's strip took me a while to understand. The "in come your daughter and granddaughter Loopina" completely confused me. I didn't really register that the daughter and granddaughter had just walked in the door; I only noticed Loopina walking into the living room. Combine that with naming only the granddaughter and not the daughter (not that we need either name), and I was like, "Why is he saying both the granddaughter and daughter are walking in? Only one person is!"

I will give credit. I saw "Granpa" and got annoyed at the lack of a "d" in there, but then I noticed that Al put in an apostrophe. So that's OK.

But I'm having a hard time accepting this strip, particularly after yesterday's strip that ripped on a daughter for not talking to her mom (the theory being that she only talked to her mom when she wanted money, but I'm not buying into that). It's not that I'm not sympathetic to Grandpa. I'd be a bit annoyed, too. But I refuse to get worked into a huff because a granddaughter, cuddling up to her grandfather, has certain shows she wants to watch. She has just as much right to get upset about having to watch football (which, pst, Al, football season is over) as Grandpa has to get upset about having to watch cartoons. Loopina would probably prefer to be at home as well.

Honestly, it's lose-lose here, except for the mother and grandmother, who look like they're having a jolly time in the background. Good for them.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don' cha hate that you have to sometimes be a grownup and let children watch the show they want? Oh yeeah!

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Dave said...

The strangest thing is, I don't know of a single grandfather who wouldn't be happy to have his granddaughter sit down and watch cartoons with him. You can watch football on all those days she doesn't show up, you know. Al's a grump.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Green Stone said...

Are daughter and Granma' sitting at a table in the front hallway pulled up against the front door? That's what it looks like to me. Just sayin'

Also, I'd rather watch a show with a bear and a duck in a toque than football.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Mike Podgor said...

When I was a child, I would be sitting there watching cartoons and someone would nearly always change the channel. My babysitter, my grandpa, my father, or any one of my cousins would always change the channel. These days, whenever I watch something I barricade myself in my room before hand.

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the TRUE football fan..theres always ARENA football...which just started..this is the worst time of the year..no baseball yet..just the National Thug Rap Star...I mean NBA and college basketball which is the same..I like grandkids as much as anyone but theres a time and place for them...so Loopina..."SHUT THE F*** UP!!!!" :)

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys
I'm getting an idea that I sent in to They'll Do It Every Time published on March 7, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a paper in the Northeast, preferably NY state, where it is published so I can get my hands on a copy (I only read it online.)
Thanks a bundle

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Barb said...

m catalano, I can't help you out (and haven't been successful with any searches). I first encountered TDIET in the Danbury (CT) News Times--it might still carry it.

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks
I'm a big fan of your blog by the way, I just usually post anonymously.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home