Thursday, February 08, 2007

The child in the background frightens me

Today's strip just absolutely blew me away. Al does know what a computer is! He's heard of blogs and the Internet! (Although now I'm thinking that the contributor probably wrote "Kids who spend all their time on the Internet updating their blogs," so Al didn't have to fret about proper usage there.) Although I do need to point out that "that Internet" and "blogs" are hardly "the latest technology trends." I mean, I've had a blog since 2000, and I'm hardly a trend-setter.

I am, however, a "total computer-armchair potato."

I'll just ignore, also, that this strip totally applies to me. I love listening to records on a turntable (this does not mean, however, that I don't enjoy listening to new CDs). There's something comforting about the sounds of a record. I can't explain it. My sister has an awesome cassette/CD/record player. I covet it.

And maybe Loopina does like "the old-time sound," and since it's available on records that her folks already own, she doesn't feel the need to blow money on CDs when she can listen to it for free.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

It applies to me as well, sort of.

I got a 45 of Prince's "Delirious" for Christmas. My mom found it at a local antique store.

All the antiqe stores have so many records, you can't afford a Beatles one, but that's what CDs are for.

I like old (older than me) music, but I like it in any medium - record, tape, cd. I especially like cd now because I can upload all the music to the computer, and then to my mp3 player. I have the CD '1999', but I still love the 45.

But yes, it was oddly realistic. I wonder if the person who sent it in is a regular reader of your blog or the Comics Curmudgeon.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Brian said...

The submitter is, in fact, a CC reader (not me, though. The story is detailed on the Comics Curmudgeon blog.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I saw that. Love that she is Loopina, but submitted it as though Loopina was her daughter. And put the word blog in quotes.

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there! Leila here, AKA Loopina. I found this blog in a roundabout way from the CC (via the Golfcount blog), and I will now be a regular reader. And hey, if you like my TDIET submission, you should send in one of your own! Ol' Scaduto actually has an email address: alscaduto2@optonline.net
I, for one, would enjoy seeing more semi-topical comics!
Oh, and yay for me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home