Monday, February 26, 2007

By "suburbs," does he mean "Florida"?

Today's strip is another in the suburbs vs. the city series. Swell. Maybe I'm jaded from living in DC, where housing isn't cheap in the suburbs, either, but I don't think people move from the city to the burbs for the cheap housing. Or, the housing might be cheaper, but that's because most people, when retiring, go from a larger home to a smaller home.

Anyway, most of this strip is over my head. I rent an apartment, and thus know next to nothing about condo associations and assessment fees (or "a$$e$$ment charges"). I realize that means higher property taxes, but in the long run, it means you get to sell your condo for more, so that's good. Plus, a pool!

I would also like to point out that those look less like condos and more like bungalows. They are very cute, though.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

I live in a suburb of Memphis, and the housing is cheaper in this one, compared to the ones latched onto Memphis on the eastern side, where you can't tell where you are, the borders change so fast - annexation.

We're far enough away from the city limits and what one would consider the city to keep prices down.

Unless you move into one of the stupid-ass McMansions that are popping up in deer-killing groups everywhere, but not in the city, no room! Ha!

Until the neighborhood gets annexed by the city. Which sucks for them.

So beware - catastra and hapless hubby - your expensive suburban neighborhood may be annexed by the very city you fled. *ghostly noises*

I always thought catastra referred to castration, as in a wife that emasculates her husband by being a nag or something. Then I saw that article and catastrophe seemed more probable - he didn't seem a bitter old man.

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandma's house was part of a condo association. All the houses were duplexes, so it's possible that those are actually little cottages... And I suppose lots of little fees would come up -- I remember her mentioning things like negotiating new landscaping contracts.

Arnita and Sol (the contributors) sound almost like Scaduto names too!

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Marc P. said...

Google: arnita, pembroke pines, fl

and it's the fifth result which leads me to believe it's really her. A real contributer!

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So they move into a new condo and expect the entire association to bow to their needs over those of the current residents?

Sounds like snowbirds!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home