Monday, October 16, 2006

The foibles of modern technology

Did I miss something major in the TDIET world when I was gone? Because today's strip is just totally throwing me off. It's not that we haven't seen cell phones before (because we have, and we've seen people make these same complaints about them), it's just that today they seem so...normal. I feel like when Scaduto had them in strips before, he saw them as something foreign; now, it seems as though he's had some time getting to understand them a bit. (Not that I am making any sense here; my head is clearly still in the Bahamas.) The scene in the top panel, other than the kid's horrible haircut, seems pretty plausible. Only there should also be a computer for the kid to be playing with.

What's the point of having the mother/wife in that top panel? She's not giving a good reaction face, and she's not in the bottom panel to react, either. I guess it's so that we know that there is a mother/wife, because heaven forbid a child should be raised in something other than a traditional nuclear family.

It is a relief to see my favorite car back, though. Even if every other car on the road also looks like it comes from, at the latest, the 1970s. And that traffic is clearly not fast moving, despite what the caption would have us believe.

I also love that Lugdome is friends with Barfo. I like imagining a world where all the characters from this strip are friends. And naturally they all complain about each other; what else would one do in a TDIET world?

3 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun facts about this strip:
- The father cusses out his son in the middle of deriding him about his multitasking.
- They talk into their cell phones like walkie-talkies, holding them a foot away from their heads as if dreading that the tiny pixies who live inside the magic-speaking-box might jump out and bite 'em.

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More fun names:

Loopie?
Stoner?

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Stoner" caught my eye -- I'm aware it's a not uncommon surname, and I mean no offense to anyone with that name, but I couldn't help wondering if maybe, just maybe, whoever made this submission is really one of those ironic hipster types like ourselves, who are enamoured of this comic precisely because we like to make fun of it, and who used a fake name, like "Heywood Jablowme" but with more verisimilitude.

On second thought, probably not, because surely they would have gone with "A. Stoner".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home