Monday, September 25, 2006

Just shave it off, already

Maybe it's just because I've had a long morning, but man, the meanness of the wife in today's strip really got to me. I mean, I realize that the strip is all about the little things that annoy us in day-to-day life (and by "us" I mean "people in the 1950s"), but will we ever see a couple who could possibly be happily married? Even in strips that aren't about married people clashing, the spouse is frequently in the background, looking horrified. It's just so sad.

Anyway. Hekkie's hair in the top panel is truly frightful. He doesn't need to comb it, he needs to cut it. I would suggest that his refusal to comb it is more because of the style of the times, but we know that when Hekkie grew up, none of the kids had wild, unkempt hair. And I wonder how old Young Hekkie is supposed to be there?

I'd discuss the bottom panel, but then I'll just focus on the wife yelling at her husband. And I think we're supposed to be laughing at the guy. How can we? His wife is horrible. But would he really be using a comb? I'd think using his hands would be easier.

I will say, though, "skull turf"? Awesome.

5 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The language in TDIET always fascinates me, but "skull turf" is the awesomest expression ever to occur in that strip.

If I had a band, I'd call it that.

I'm going to start saying "skull turf" all the time now. Skull turf, skull turf, skull turf...

There are very few expressions where the only vowel is "U".

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it true that men supposedly marry women that are like their mother? Because the mother in that top panel looks like an frumpy old mean hag, just the wife in the bottom panel.

Then again, 99% of the women in TDIET look like fumpy old mean hags.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Frankie Machine said...

You know where Scaduto learned about married life?
Reading the Lockhorns.

Granted, he never bothered to learn to draw an attractive woman like the one that makes an occasional appearance in the Lockhorns, but...

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever happen to you? You expect one thing to happen, and then just the OPPOSITE happens? Heh-heh...

 
At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know that children in the 1920's (when those letter sweaters were so popular) were so keen on the wild thatch of SKULL TURF illustrated in panel one. Skeedle-dee-dee. Twenty-one skidoo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home