Friday, September 15, 2006

Maybe next week's movie will be "the ultraest"

So today's strip is about those wacky talking pictures the kids are going to these days. Although, I'm not sure what he means by "plunk down $9.50 per ducat." Isn't "ducat" a currency? I mean, he's not talking about going to another country and exchanging cash, is he? Ahh, thank you dictionary.com, where the third definition is "Slang. A ticket to a public performance." I'm not going to query when that slang was most popular, but my guess would be 1949.

And yeah, this probably has happened to me, though I can't think of any specific instances. I've certainly gone to movies knowing that the reviews have been largely negative, but I also know that I don't necessarily agree with reviewers. But, really, this is just another case of people going to the movies without any really thought into what they're going to see. I can understand complaining about paying $9.50 for a crappy movie (and you know that the submitter, who's from the Bronx, must have specified the amount, which undoubtedly horrified Scaduto; I imagine he flipped when he heard that movies cost more than 50 cents these days), which is why most people don't go to a movie without some knowledge of the movie, its plot, and/or whether it's been panned or praised. But if you're going in just off the street, all, "Hey, let's see a movie!" (which, again, I've done), you probably shouldn't whine about it too much.

Even going in prepared, yes, you can get caught off-guard on occasion. Which sucks. So...I'll give him that, I guess.

And again, love that the ticket-taker is in the full-on uniform. Must be some classy movie theater! Particularly when you consider how dressed up everyone is. Another detail I loved--the previous audience is from "the early show." Why not "an earlier showing"? Sorry, sorry. Too logical. I'll stop now.

But...hey! It's the same poster from the August 31 strip! I guess Blue Kisses turned out not to be "The greatest, ultraest movie ever produced!" I do wonder why it opened 8/31 in Boston, but not until 9/15 in New York.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

$9.50 for a ticket in the Bronx? Well, that puts the strip at around 1999, so it's only 7 years old, the most recent TDIET Strip ever!

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still, nothing like 'little woman' or 'bridey' appeared~
He went for the 'your wife'.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Wow! He did say "your wife"! I'm impressed.

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

J'ever notice? Barfo posts a comment to show how smart he is, mocking the lastest funnies:

"$9.50 for a ticket in the Bronx? Well, that puts the strip at around 1999, so it's only 7 years old, the most recent TDIET Strip ever!"

When a 30 second internet search reveals -- what's that? -- movie tickets in the Bronx can cost, er, $9.50 per ducat. Oh yeah!

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: the opening dates of movies, movies used to open in a three-tiered zone system. They would start in the biggest theaters in the biggest cities (the movie palaces I assume Scaduto is aiming for with the art), then move to smaller cities after a few weeks, and finally to the second-run theaters. It saved money on prints, plus then they could also have a three-tiered price system. (Hence the ripping off the city folk. Oh yeah!)

Jaws was the first movie to have a highly successful wide release. Blockbusters are the reason Podunk Junction now gets movies at the same time as big cities.

All of which is a roundabout way of saying that, despite the ticket price, this strip is clearly set in 1949.

Love the blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home