Monday, September 11, 2006

Well, if the towels just touch you and you're clean...

I had to read the exposition box of today's strip to realize that Hekkie is a boy. Al, there are other ways of drawing hair. That haircut? It's a girl's haircut. Please stop using it on boys. Although I suppose it's possible that Al is looking back to his youth (circa 1890), when little boys did have such haircuts.

Anyway, Hekkie's mom should simply not make more towels available to him. I've heard of people who never use the same towel more than once; I am not one of these people, as I do my own laundry and it costs me $2/load. And really, this towel behavior is learned from somewhere. His mom can break him of it. I'm amazed that she only sent him to camp with one towel; I mean, there's breaking the habit and just being gross about it. Unless he has access to laundry there. Hmmm.

An all-around stupid strip, but at least it's not offensive. Although the insane names are starting to get to me. Hekkie is not a name.

7 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Blogger Minivet said...

I imagine the habit comes from the fact that the mother is expected to unquestioningly do whatever laundry is dumped her way.

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought this looked familiar... He did the opposite problem a week ago:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/tdiet.asp?date=20060903

It's in a Sunday strip, and the guy uses one towel for ages at home, then uses a ton of them at the country club. I can't quite make out the guy's name, but it starts with an H. Is it grown-up Hekkie?

So which of these opposite situations is the one "they'll do every time"?

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I notice that the concept for the strip today was allegedly suggested by one "I. Schaffer" of San Fracisco.

I refuse to belived that there is one single person who both: (a) lives in San Francisco; and (b) reads, much less suggests ideas to, TDIET. "I. Schaffer" is clearly an one of Scaduto's multiple 1950's personalities.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Barb said...

anon, good catch and further justification for me avoiding the Sunday strips. It does look like the adult's name is Hekkinger, which, as we all know, is the full form of "Hekkie."

 
At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I get what Scaduto is doing here! He actually gets TWO ideas out of every one that's (supposedly) suggested... It won't be long before we have another one about ol' Ferd -- At the city council meetings, he's frugal and votes against any improvement that will cost the city as much as a penny. But at home, he spends on his house (and his little woman) like there's no tomorrow. Oh yeah!

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG WTF there aren't any "oh yeah"s? Not a single "thusly"? Nary a "howcum" or a "we ask"? The world is ending!

 
At 5:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really, in a way, the two towel strips aren't opposite at all. They're about men being lazy. I'm assuming Hekkinger is single here and doesn't want to bother with towels - unless somebody is doing them for him. Same deal with little Hekkie. He'll use as many as he pleases at home but at camp where he probably would do his own he's going to use them until they're manky and standing up on their own.

Liam Dillon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home