Thursday, September 14, 2006

There is nothing wrong with mental health days, yo

I'm kind of torn about today's strip. On one hand, I totally am with Dragbutt. Practically every morning when my alarm goes off, I have a quick debate with myself about whether I can call in sick that day, taking into consideration (a) how tired I am, (b) whether I have anything at work that's pressing, and (c) how much work has sucked lately. The vast, vast majority of the time, I come into work. But it's a debate I have frequently, and on occasion, I'll give in, call in sick, and spend the day lounging around. I certainly don't begrudge other people doing it, so it annoys me that Mrs. Dragbutt feels the need to force him out of bed and into the office.

I can kind of feel her pain, though. First of all, she's up before him for some reason--she presumably doesn't work outside the home herself (because, well, I don't know that Scaduto really realizes how many women do, and her comment about helping her clean implies that she'll be around). Getting kids ready for school? Who knows! But she's likely on some sort of schedule (Monday: Laundry, Tuesday: Clean bathroom, etc.), and I can totally see how having Dragbutt around might upset those plans. And she might really have something important to do, and he could be a pain.

(Or maybe her plans involve continuing a torrid affair with the pool boy! That would be awesome.)

Really, the ideal compromise would be for him to sleep in, her to abandon her cleaning plans, and for them to do something together. Let him actually play hooky and they can go have fun. Everybody wins!

But no, that's too logical. Also...she's not a "bridey." These two have clearly been married for more than a couple of months. Al, get rid of "bridey" and "wifey" and "hubby" and all the rest. Just say "his wife."

I'm debating...who are we supposed to sympathize with? I'm thinking the wife (because, really, the default sympathy is with the wife when it comes to this strip).

And I'm pretending that the submitter is actually Javy Lopez, recently of the Orioles and the Red Sox. He just said he was from Toledo to throw people off.

6 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The BoSox sold Javy Lopez to the Toledo Mud Hens for an assistant public relations officer to be named later. This clears up the mystery. As for the little bridey, a.k.a. the better half, she surely has a torrid steamy affair going on, but it's not with the teenage pool boy, it's with the middle aged postman, who always rings twice, if you know what I mean. Who says Scaduto isn't on top of things?

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is certainly the first instance of the phrase "pool boy" being used in connection with "TDIET", and almost certainly the last. The TDIET-o-verse doesn't have pool boys, in much the same way as it doesn't have streamlined cars, employed women, nurses wearing scrubs, and PDAs. TDIET people don't have pools in their yards; they have spraypainted steel lawn furniture and plaster burros.

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On junior tracy's note, I'd just like to say that TDIET depresses me to no small extent. I'm sure Scaduto's target audience, those who aren't already dead, find comfort in his unchanging world, but it makes me vaguely ill.

BTW - When is the last time a "person of color" made an appearance in TDIET?

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Barb said...

pelagius, that's a really good question. I don't know that I've ever seen a non-white person in TDIET; maybe in the background, but certainly not as a main character.

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it's just as well. I don't trust Scaduto to dream up one of his "character names" for a "person of color". I could imagine that going very, very wrong.

 
At 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I had a bed that re-made itself the instant I jumped out of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home