Thursday, September 21, 2006

Oh, and he just missed Talk Like a Pirate Day

I was so happy to see my favorite convertible in today's strip. To illustrate how sad my life is, yesterday I was actually thinking about how it hasn't shown up lately. But never fear--it returns!

Now, I know next to nothing about boats, boating, boating etiquette, etc. The difference between these two situations seems to me not that they involve two different forms of transportation, but that in one case--the boats--the two vehicles have a fair amount of distance between them. They're obviously not going to crash, causing damage. In the other case, however, if the two vehicles didn't actually crash, they came very close to it. I know that after I'm involved in near-misses like that, I'm pretty shaken up. I don't necessarily yell like that, but I'm not all, "Oh, hello, fellow driver! Lovely day, no?"

It also should be considered that if a person is out on a boat, then that person is relaxing. It's probably a weekend or a vacation, and the stress level is low. When driving, well, it could be any situation, really. Maybe someone is late or was just fired. Who knows? Not that this excuses rude drivers, of course. But driving and boating are two different mindsets.

I must admit, though, that I kind of love that Scaduto uses "matey" and it's actually in a proper context!

4 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Blogger B said...

"Why yes, I did in fact get my license at the five an' dime. The same one where Bryan Adams bought his first real six-string."

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea, I can TOTALLY relate, seeing how, you know, every person on the freaking PLANET has a BOAT! DUH!

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scaduto's consistency absolutely amazes me. He manages an archaic turn of phrase every single day - the phrase "five and dime" can't be in common use by anyone under 80, and probably isn't understood by anyone under forty.

It's brilliant.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Marion Delgado said...

That puzzled me, that term matey. I thought he called him a matey/wifey/helpmeet/goodwife as a gesture of dominance. Now I realize it's something nautical.

But where are the sails on those boats? do little demons make them move about? and what are the carriages doing in the bottom picture, unhorsed and apparently cast loose rolling to collide causing grievous injury? No excuse for oaths, of course, but obviously a good stone road is narrower than the bodies of water the Lord gives us as a fact of Nature.

O, yea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home