Friday, September 22, 2006

Some friendly, folksy, good will snark

Can I just say that thanks to today's strip, I now want to use the phrase "Tough crumpets!"? Because that's awesome.

And again, another case of people falling for advertising. I really shouldn't be surprised, as we know that the typical TDIET reader is not exactly a spring chicken, and older people tend to be a bit more gullible. But really. And honestly, this doesn't look like a case of false advertising, really; I'm sure that most of the servers at Smiley's are good, friendly, competent people. These people just got stuck with the crappy guy. Because honestly, taking back the order is his problem, not the manager's. Though the family should talk to the manager about the crappy service.

I do like how everyone in the restaurant is staring at them. I guess the waiter is talking really loudly. Hmm, there's a waiter in the background who does look a bit surly, but I'm not going to judge on appearances.

What I am going to judge is the insane language. "Tough crumpets," while awesome, is strange. "Snackery"? "Repast"? And what kind of ad is that? "For that warm, cozy, family, good fellowship repast"? What? It's a "good will snackery"? What does that even mean???

And honestly, Smiley's looks a bit too nice to be a "snackery."

4 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The words coming out of the mouth of that TV spokesperson make no sense whatsoever.

But then again, nothing in this strip ever does.

As another reader noted, TDIET blows my mind daily.

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Snackery", "repast", "tempermental help". It's beautiful. TDIET does, indeed, blow one's mind every day.

Scaduto is a national treasure, although I'm not certain that the nation he's a treasure of has ever existed.

TDIET - delightfully awful every day! Don't miss it.

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't a waiter that bad be fired rather quickly? I've never had an experience like that...outside of a late-night trip to a 24 hour Denny's where you know the bitchy cigarette hag serving you is only employed because they can't get anyone else to serve burgers to college students at 2AM.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Sari Everna said...

I can actually claim to have eaten at a place called Smileys. No joke.

My memory is really fuzzy, but it was a chain that we kept eating at on tour; it existed everywhere in the province except the area where the most people are. Why? I think it had something to do with the fact that it wasn't all that great of a restaurant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home