Friday, January 25, 2008

Well, if the cartoons are shown in HD, why not?

Today's strip was another that I had to read a few times to understand. I guess I underestimated how helpful those exposition boxes are. Anyway, looks like we're supposed to be down on Hekkie for suggesting a new, high-def television. I'm not really sure about the snide comments. If his dad is having problems getting a good picture on a tv that's only 5 or 6 years old, then there's a problem. (My tv is about 7 years old now and is just fine, thanks.) And HD is how things are moving; at this point, if you're getting a new tv, it makes sense to buy HD. The prices are coming down and everything's going digital. You're just setting yourself up for becoming obsolete if you go non-HD. (Here I mean for something like the family room's tv. I'd have no hesitation to buy a small, non-HD television for my bedroom or something.) (But really, you shouldn't take technology-buying advice from me. I have the very bad habit of buying this sort of thing impulsively.)

Anyway. Widescreen is a bit much, but what kid wouldn't pull for that? And Hekkie looks older than 8; I'm sure he's watching more than just cartoons. As for the "wrecking crew" comment, I have no idea where that came from. Who are those people in the other room, anyway? Random commentators?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Blogger Brian said...

How do they make Hi Def cartoons? By using sharper pencils, I guess.

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the 'Greek chorus' commenting on the action in this one. Very theatrical! I also notice that Al doesn't credit anyone in the strip, which I assume means he thought this one up himself. Way to go, Al...although even with today's TV price wars, anyone who pays only $975 for a 52-inch hi-def widescreen TV must have bought it off the back of a truck.

 
At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This strip was kind of confusing to me, with all the random commentators. And I don't get why the girl says "Oh, mother..." in response to something that appears to have been said by Mr. Mustache.

Also, yesterday's strip was disturbing. The hate!

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Hekkie has been done an injustice. All TV signals are to be digital HD by Feb 2009. Any standard TVs will be useless. Obviously he's the only one in the room that doesn't understand that! Also, widescreen isn't "a bit much" because widescreen is part of the HDTV standard, meaning it MUST be widescreen. Poor Hekkie, hopefully he'll still be able to watch his cartoon shows somehow after 2/09, because his parents and their friends obviously don't read the newspapers.

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sightline Payments Kirk Sanford

 

Post a Comment

<< Home