Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Mmm, meat.

Looking at today's strip, I again find myself thinking that something about the eyes looks weird. Look at Lulula and Sonny's eyes. Don't they look off? Anyway, the mom is clearly smoking something if she thinks that her son looks "drawn." I mean, honestly. He's hardly wasting away. Are mothers-in-law really like this? I suppose some are, but it's really not something I have any experience with. Does the mother live in the same town as them? If not, why is she talking about her butcher? It's not like Lulula can go there. It's nice, though, if she lives in a place that even still has a butcher's shop...unless she means that he's set up in a grocery store. Hmm.

I could live without the guy spelling out for us what's going on. I got it, OK?

I'm rambly, I know. My apologies.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger Scott H. said...

Well, of course Sonny looks "drawn." He's in a comic strip, you know.

But seriously...

Isn't this a pretty common cliche that's just being recycled? Wouldn't a better gag have been MIL making her "You're so thin" comments in the first panel and then later, after Sonny's put on some weight, coming out with "You really shouldn't be feeding him so much."

And why isn't Sonny standing up for his wife? There are plenty of reasons for him to have lost weight besides his wife being a terrible cook. Even in TDIET's retro-sensibility, is it so hard to imagine that a husband might do some or all of the cooking for himself or even if his wife was "starving" him, he couldn't get food somewhere else?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home