Wednesday, January 16, 2008

All good things...

I'm sure many of you saw at the Comics Curmudgeon that King Features is ending the strip after the final Al-drawn TDIET runs on February 2. Like Josh, I have mixed feelings. I think it would've been fascinating to see someone else draw it...but at the same time, a more modern sensibility would take away so much of what makes the strip awesome. So it'll be a sad day, and, I suppose, the end of this blog. Well, it's been a good run.

I'm now high-tailing it out of town for a few days...I'll be back on Tuesday to cover the last two weeks of TDIET.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger Frankie Machine said...

Have a good trip.
As someone who found humor in both TDIET and your blog, I feel sad in pronouncing that the internet just got a little colder and sadder.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger M W Gallaher said...

I've read every post in this blog--and every comment--since you started, Barb. I can't say that about any others (although the more modest pace of this blog makes that a far more feasible feat, I suppose). I hope you'll find a new direction in blogging soon.
I, too, think it is probably for the best to retire TDIET, but it is sad to lose one of the few old school comic strips left. Off-hand, I can only think of Blondie as another retaining a clear aesthetic link with the strip art of the 1920s and 30s. There are probably a few more, but they must be *very* few, and sparsely circulated.
I'll remain proud of getting two submissions printed in Al's last year on the strip, and TDIET will live in my heart.

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Requiescat In Pace, TDIET. I will miss you. Barb, anybody who follows the Orioles will have no trouble establishing another blog full of pathos. I have the perfect suggestion: The Lockhorns. How about it?

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strips like today's (Monday, 1/21) are a perfect example of why I'll miss Scaduto's TDIET. The nerve of those people, talking on those newfangled cell phones! I'm just glad he was around to keep it going for as long as he did -- without Al, TDIET would likely have gone to comics heaven decades ago. (And I'm also glad I just got in under the wire -- the strip he adapted from my idea runs Wednesday.)

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Barb said...

The Lockhorns? Bite your tongue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home